+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streamers ....

Hybrid View

Question Streamers ....

.... what do you mean by that term, what kind of streamers do you fish, and how do you present them ??

The reason I ask is that often it seems like we are talking apples and oranges and turnips and tomatos and whatevers when the general topic turns to or includes comments on fishing streamers.

For example, I wade fish only moving water for trout in the Intermountain West. My streamer fishing is limited to sculpin / baitfish style streamers such as the PSC, Sanchez's Double Bunny, Fulsher's Thunder Creek minnows, and Night Angler's PMS and Hibernator. I typically fish these streamers off a Class II full sinking line and present them down and across and swing them across the current adding steady, short, stripping motion.

Night Angler's Hibernator is very similar to my PSC. He fishes it at night in stillwater as a leech, as I best recall from one of our discussions. Virtually the same fly, but a radically different presentation in a totally different situation.

So there's an apple and an orange to get it started. How about telling us what you mean by the term "streamers" and where and how you use them.

John
    The fish are always right.

depends, sometimes I'll just go with a small wooley bugger...deadly on lakes stripped slow.

other times I'll go with something that's just downright filthy, like this:

good old sculpzilla...

that works pretty good either swung down and across, or dead-drifted and the swung up towards the surface. I really like it for swinging under log jams. That's mainly what I fish for with trout...if the water is pretty deep and swift, I'll throw it on a 7-10ft sink tip but that's usually unnecessary so it usually gets fished off of a floating line on a straight non-tapered leader no longer than 6'

for bass & the salt, I'll typically just reach for a standard clouser in various colors & vary up the retrieve until I find what the fish like the most.

then again, there are always these for tuna:
    Last edited by clarkman23; 04-19-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Hi John, for me I think any fly designed to imitate a creature able to move against the current is a streamer. I usualy fish them on a sinking line or a fast sinking tip and Swing them accross the current or strip them in if fishing Lakes. If you need to swing/strip rather than dead drift or twitch you are fishing streamers regardless of pattern.
    Just my thoughts.
    All the best.
    Mike.

I "prefer" to fish bucktails on a sink tip line in moving waters. That is what I enjoy the most. But still do my share of buggers and leeches when dredging the big holes or still waters.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w.../Streamers.jpg

My streamer fishing is usually focused on warmwater chasing LM or hybrid bass. For that application, I prefer a polar fiber minnow tied in similar to a baby bunker or a clouser minnow, usually tied in olive, over chartruese over white. That being said, I fish leech patterns all the time fly for bass, bream and trout. I don't really consider leech patterns streamers since I am not trying to immitate a small fish. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim Smith

Streamers are a fly...having said that , I too, think of streamers as a bait fish imitation.
    I've been focusing on stillwater the last couple of years and usually use a T-200.
    My favorite streamer patterns are the old classics..here's one I tied for a recent swap.
    nam

+ Reply to Thread