Thanks guys.

I wasn't sure if it was still available. I had picked up a copy from a used book store, and hadn't realised it was reprinted recently. I was going to search for an archived version on line, but I see that's been posted already (thanks REE).

Hamilton also indicates that the tails "improve the patterns", so that's tiers choice. I think I used a bit of a dark wing on the March Brown Varient, but again, Hamilton would roll his eyes at me for thinking such things. He suggests that since the fish see the fly from below, subtle differences in the shades of colour are not noticable by the fish, and furthermore, the naturals often have a wide range of shades.

He placed far more emphasis on reading the water and weather conditions, and knowing where the fish might be holding, then he did on the choice of fly. He also didn't think much of dry fly fishing, I think his quote was along the line of "It's principle drawback is that the fly spends the majority of its time out of the water." (or words to that effect). He does, however, suggest a "recent book by Halford on the subject", but this is not to suggest he agrees with the great many flies that are listed! A man of very definate opinion was our good Captain!

Anyway, it's a good read. I've had a look through the latter half at the streams that I've fished to get a feel for his descriptions and many seem to be fairly well described. Things like "wadable in places, landing deep, sometimes good" occurs a lot. (landing deep means you have to be in the water with a net, good means you could get the fish into some shallows for landing purposes, that sort of thing).

- Jeff

I've had a closer look at the photograph, and the hooks in the book are down-eyed rather than straight eyed, but the size and shape of the bend matches a 3366 size 8.