+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLUFF AND FEATHERS - Product Review - April 19, 2010

Blog Entries

Default FLUFF AND FEATHERS - Product Review - April 19, 2010

FLUFF AND FEATHERS

My fascination with fluff and feathers started long ago, in a far away place, or so seem now. I started fly tying at a young age and once I discover that feathers were used to tie flies no bird was safe. My Uncle, who is a Federal Bird Bander, had to counsel me that releasing a Cardinal or Blue Jay after banding didn?t mean that you removed any feathers. He had to explain that House Sparrows, Starlings or legally taken game birds were the only ones which I could pluck, except for barnyard birds, like ducks, geese and chickens.

Default Kelly Killer (a Carrie G. Stevens Pattern m & Denny Conrad

I do not consider it advertising to say the truth about a Father and Daughter, who are some of the best breeders of of hackle for fly tying (their hackle is some of the best), but also so cooperative with the fly tier that purchase their products. I would rather do business deals with someone I know and trust, than some company that is only a name.

I come to know Denny Conrad, when I took part of the Texas Regional Fish-In. Denny sent some hackle at my request to the Texas Fish-In, to show the members of FAOL that showed up for the event. It was the first time I say such wonderful hackle, that not only in excellent in quality, but also very reasonable in price.

Denny even sent 6 capes that where not up to Denny's Standard to sell by mail to customers for us fly tiers to used, and to split the capes at the end of the Fish In.

Richard Connors was in the Anglers Hut, along with Denny Conrad, when Richard said he wanted to tie a Carrie G. Stevens pattern "Kelly Killer", by he could not find any Silver Badger. I talked to Denny in Private Chat, telling Denny that i was willing to buy Richard a Silver Badger Cape, and he could also send me one also. Denny told me that he would cover half of the cost of Richards "Silver Badger" for the my service in Texas.

Richard Connors wrote up the article on the Kelly Killer by Carrie G. Stevens, and I took a photo of the fly that Richard sent me for the "Just Old Flies and stuff' article.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...es/part198.php

I could go on about how I have been buying all my hackle from Denny for many years and he has never disappointed me. His prices are fair, his service is impeccable, and he does not sell to fly shops. So if you want excellent hackle, you have to deal with Denny directly, and doing so you cutout the middle man (fly shop) markup cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to agree. Simply fantastic tying feathers across the their catalog. Until recently, I had only heard people rave about Conranch hackles as wet fly materials. But I inspected and quickly purchased some dry fly hackle from them at the Sowbug Roundup.

It is tough to write a glowing product review for an advertiser when you're the editor of a publication. So I hope that everyone who owns Conranch feathers will post their opinions here. I doubt there will be any "don't buys" in the lot.

flyguy66, Tom Travis wrote the review not Neil - he is Neil's nephew and a 1st class tier, guide and author. He has a lot of his flies in the Orvis catalog, Perk Perkins calls him personally to see what new fly patterns he has come up with. He is also called the 'Master Angler' having had the fly shop of the same name in Livingston MT some years ago.

5. Default Fluff and Feathers

Most tiers, like myself, are always looking for great products at reasonable prices. I plan on giving them a try.

Tom D.

Tom T,

Dang, you shoulda asked. I got a ton of Denny's feathers. I'da loaned ya a few to play with.

I really like your PMD Flymph. Is the aftershaft feather wrapped in front (toward the hook eye) or behind (toward the hook bend) of the hen hackle? All nice patterns but the flymph just resonates with me.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

REE

I will have to ask my nephew about the PMD Flymph. He writes for us but he doesn't read the comments on the bulletin board.

Neil

Thanks Neil. Appreciate it.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have to agree, Conranch Hackle is great. I was having trouble locating furnace and badger. Denny had both and I did too in just a few days. High quality, great service, and genuinely nice people.

Ron,

My nephew sent the following reply - The hackle is tied on and then the final item is the aftershaft feather. Hope this helps.

Neil

+ Reply to Thread