+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has fly shops close to your home?

I think Norm Thompson stopped selling fly fishing stuff a long time ago. They sell sweaters and stuff mail order now.

My work is about midway between Kaufmann's and River City Fly shop. It's about a mile to either one. Both great shops.

Jay

Here in Columbus we have Mad River Outfitters. Also when I go home to Cleveland there are two near my home, Angler's Mail in Parma and The Rodmakers Shoppe in Strongsville.

Blog Entries

In Nashville we have only one fly-only shop that I know of, Fly South. We have Game Fair Ltd. which has an Orvis Authorized fly shop as a part of it. We have Cumberland Transit, which is better known for mountain bikes but has a fly fishing area in the back. Bass Pro has the White River fly shop included. Academy Sports even has some stuff, including fly tying materials in a very minor way. There is Hunts Sporting Goods in Hendersonville on the north side of town that is fly friendly. I don't know about any others. I am still mourning the closure of the Fly Chucker a little over a year ago.
    Ed

Ed, Chuck (owner of the FlyChucker) is a friend of mine. He went to work for my wife after he closed his shop. He's a great guy and I'm sure his fly shop was a happy place.

Jeremy

The Phoenix area has at least 4 full blown fly shops (catering only to fly fishers) and in addition there are two Sportsman's Warehouses, plus a new Cabela's and a new Bass Pro in the pre-construction stage. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out after the Cabela's and Bass Pro are up and running. During the last 5-6 years, at least 4 other shops have closed entirely or eliminated their fly fishing section to concentrate on other sports (hunting, bait fishing, etc.)

Of course with Internet availability, there are at hundreds (thousands?) of fly shops/stores/warehouses right at my fingertips. I don't even have to walk to my mailbox...UPS and FEDEX bring it right up to my front door.

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

Count me as one of the lucky ones also. I live in Hamilton Montana and we have The Fishaus, The Fly Fishing Center, Riverbend and Anglers Roost here in town. We have The Bitterroot Fly Company in Darby, 18 miles south and Missoula is less than 50 miles north and has numerous fly tackle stores.
    In Missoula I frequent Grizzly Hackle, Missoulian Angler and The Kingfisher fly shops. My home is less than 100 yards from the Bitterroot river so it kinda goes without saying that there are many benefits to living in paridise. Now I wish the weather would warm up a little so I could go drift some of my winter creations.
    Bitterroot

I'm 15 minutes from The Fly Angler and 30 minutes from Bentley's Outfitters - both very good full-service fly shops. I also have a Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas within 15 minutes.

Yager's - 30 minutes
    Cabela's - 1 hour
    Nearest Trout River - 5 hours, not that lucky.

Like Dudley, I'm from CT, but I live in another part of the state, so I have access to 4 fly shops and two others with good fly fishing selection (actually better than a couple of the fly shops) within a 1/2 hours drive of home. Of course, one of those is an Orvis company store. I'm not sure that it counts as a fly shop, since 90% of the store space is devoted to clothing, doggie beds, etc......

Jeff

------------------
    I work only so that I can afford to fish

Doggie beds at Orvis? I wonder if I could pick up a couple of "Royal Woofs" at Pet Smart?

+ Reply to Thread