+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leader length

Hybrid View

1. Default Furled leader length

Does anyone have a spacing arrangement for a furling jig to be able to make a 7' furled leader? I would like to try making some a little longer than the spacing I have currently use (a little less than 6'). Also, any recommendations on where to obtain the rings to put on the tippet end? Thanks for the help.

CF51

Clearfork;
    28/33/33. Now I'm sure that has you very confused? If so let me know, somewhere in here I have some diagrams. On my 9' rods all I use are 7' furled leaders. Hauled in a 20" Walleye out of one of my favorite Trout holes yesterday!!

J Stockard (a sponsor) has the best deal on tippet rings.

3. Default

Jack;
    Thanks for the reply, and you are right I'm confused. Are the pegs the same distance on both sides or ? A diagram would be great. How long are your tippets on that 7' leader? Thanks again.

Default Cf51 -

Couldn't you just start at 8' starting length and place the pegs proportionally to what you do when you start for your 6' finished leader ??

Jack's measurements come out just short of 8', if I'm reading them right he is saying 94". I am curious about that set up. It would result in proportions of 30% butt section, 35% mid section, and 35% tip section. That strikes me as a bit light in the butt and somewhat overextended in the tip, especially after adding tippet.

Just wondering if this is a standard proportion for you, Jack, for the various leaders you do. And how you arrived at these proportions, and if you have tried other set ups ??

John
    The fish are always right.

If you make your start and end loops 1/2 the distance between pegs 1 & 2 you will have a 12/10/8/6 taper.

lets see if this helps. This will make a 7' leader.

When using a leader made from 4# test mono or fluoro I'll use up to 6' of tippet.
    at least 4' of tippet with a thread leader.

J Stockard happens to have free shipping going on right now....

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

clearfork51:

To answer your first question, here are two different peg spacings for 7 foot 3-step furled leaders. The first is for a 55% slope, and the peg spacings alternate left-right-left-etc., starting with the first peg on the left side. Both are based on a 10% reduction in length with furling. Measurements are in inches. For the 55% one, the peg positions are: 38-63-80-92. The second one is for one with a 60% slope: 34-59-78-92. There are two pegs on the left side and one on the right side; looking from butt end towards the tippet end. The tippet end peg is at 92 inches to allow for the 10% reduction.

The percentages reflect the weight reduction at each step-down from that of the previous section; i.e., the first step-down section weighs either 55% or 60% of the butt section, and so on for the remainder of the leader.

Why not put a Shorb knot in each end, and dispense with the little metal ring on the tip end? The knot is very easy to do. It does require a Knit Picxker, available wherever fabrics and sewing supplies are sold, and are about $2.00 ea. There is minimal anecdotal evidence that the Shorb Knot is stronger than the metal ring. Here is an article on making furled leaders that has a step-by-step instructions, including some very clear photos, of how to make a Shorb Knot: www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Tackle/furled_leader/furled-leader.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Last edited by aged_sage; 04-18-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Additions

Quote Originally Posted by clearfork51 View Post
    Does anyone have a spacing arrangement for a furling jig to be able to make a 7' furled leader? I would like to try making some a little longer than the spacing I have currently use (a little less than 6'). Also, any recommendations on where to obtain the rings to put on the tippet end? Thanks for the help.

CF51
    Does this help?

There are instructions for 8, 10 & 12 ft furled sections.

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/...d_leaders.html

http://bamboorodmaking.com/leaderboard.gif

http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/furling.jpg
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Silver Creek:

FYI, a fellow furler in Holland has developed a spreadsheet that one can put the basics into and with a click of the mouse can instantaneously generate the peg positions for leaders with any % slope, number of step-downs, and length your heart could ever desire to make. It is based on Steven McGarthwaite's Big Furled Leader Formula. Steven did furlers a very big favor with the development of his formula. And Karel Gol in Holland took it to the next level when he used
    Steven's formula to develop his spread sheet.

The links you provided are good, but are restricted to their specific stated length leaders. They are also based on a very cumbersome furling technique. For example, to do a 12 foot leader you need to have a clear working area of 24 feet to be able to make one based on the technique used. The 'technology' has come a long way since these articles were published. They are a very important source of basic information and I definitely recommend reading them to anyone wanting to get started making furled leaders.

To help further the the state of the art in furling, here is the link to a Forum on the subject that was started about 5 years ago by an Englishman, and which contains a wealth of information on the subject. It is: www.furledleaders.co.uk

Cheers,
    Frank

+ Reply to Thread