Thread: Alabama or west florida panhandle family vacation: Any fly fishing opportnities?

Threaded View

I'm from Pensacola, and I can tell you the Gulf Islands National Seashore right across the state line in FL is loaded with accessable wadeable water, and a great beach with pavillion at Johnson's Beach. It has showers and picnic tables with shade if it gets to hot for the kids. I've fished all around Alabama Point, and the Orange Beach, Gulf Shores area, and because of private property most of it has to be done by boat. The area around Alabama Point, and Goat Island has some fantastic pier fishing, but again from boats only. Back to West FL. Once you cross the intercoastal waterway bridge coming from the beach there is a state park (Big Lagoon State Park) that has some more fantastic wadeable water. If you wade out of the park to the east you'll come into a residential area that has good pier fishing that you can hit wading to give you shots at black snapper, flounder and redfish. You will probably get some reds, and flounder on the grass, but that will primarily Speckled Trout and stuff like Spanish Mackeral, and ladyfish. You never know when some sort of Jack will show up though that will strip you into your backing. If you have a boat in FL the intercoastal waterway all along there from the AL state line to Pensacola Pass is loaded with all sorts of good fishing spots. Good fishing in either area, just need a boat for the AL portion. My brother won the Speckled Trout portion of the AL Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo with a 7lb. 9 oz bruiser he caught right at the end of Goat Island a few years ago.
    Do a Google Maps of Gulf Islands National Seashore Perdido Key, and you'll see all the places I'm talking about.
    Last edited by smallmouthfever; 05-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.