The Loomis GLX will be more fragile than other rods, but I agree with another poster who generally blames operator error. I own 4 GLXs (3#,4#,7#,9#) all of them are over 7 years old, and none of them have ever been broken. Here is the reason why they are considered fragile.
They are incredibly light, yet responsive. It has to do with the thin graphite walls (which decreases the weight), on the other hand the graphite is high modulus. High modulus graphite is stiffer, more molecules per area (think a table vs. a sponge) and subsequently more brittle. The result is a rod that will return to straight faster than a rod made of IM6 graphite, even though it is lighter weight.
This was a huge jump in fishing technology when the GLX first came out. The rod itself is a great rod, but it is going to be more brittle than an IM6 rod. But I would also say that all rods break in a car door, so to say that it is super fragile is a stretch because all rods are fragile if you think about it.
Lastly, the tip section on a 10' rod will be (obviously) 3.3' long. The longer the section the more supple it will be, and therefore less fragile. Think of a piece of wire. A piece 1' long will support its weight and could be kinked easier than a 10' piece of the same gauge wire that is easily bent and more difficult to kink.
Just some thoughts, and remember, my advice is free... perhaps you are getting what you paid for.