+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glow in the Dark flies?

Hybrid View

Default Glow in the Dark flies?

Last Sept. thru Oct. I did quite well on spinning gear using glow in the dark rubber shads. Does anyone know of any company making glow in the dark materials that I could use for tying streamers or Clousers?
    I haven't had any luck finding any materials in the fly or craft shops I go to.

Tom

I use phosphorescent fabric paint for streamer eyes and to coat my leader knots for in-line indicators
    I'm sure that there are many other applications
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have used glow beads for heads on glow spiders. These are fairly small, so I don't know how well they would work on saltwater flies.
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0001700310177a.shtml

I think there is a glow in the dark EP fiber also:

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/Items.aspx?catid=3590

I have seen glow rubber legs and have also know people that have used glow in the dark powder.

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=190919
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Cold Guest

I add glow in the dark flashabou to many of my clousers and other streamers.

Also use it as a sort of wing on my Angela nymph, which is great on bluegills...I'm convinced the glow keeps them biting a little later into the evening, even after they've generally stopped feeding for the day.

thats interesting stuff dunfly...never really tried except a little on the glow in the dark concept...I used glow sticks...I personally had no success but heart wasnt into it...I didnt know such paint was around...now I am more than curious..would love a glow in the dark crab..thing about that is I wonder if it is all for nothing because the fish can see so much better than humans especially underwater...I tend to think that other senses take over when/if needed such as lateral line and pressure changes to sense motion...can somebody change my mind about this?

Last weekend I saw a shrimp pattern tied with UV Crystal Flash. When illuminated with a blue light it glowed for some time afterward. I was intrigued to say the least. Not sure how practical this is when fishing though.

Not sure about salt water fishing, but here in NZ glow in the dark flies are very popular in freshwater after dark. The stuff you want is I think called Aurora Skirt. It is a sheet of glow in the dark material pre cut in thin strips, you can use the strips for ribbing, or for body material and we charge it up with a strong torch or camera flash every 15 minutes or so and the Rainbows love it.
    Hope this helps.
    All the best.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread