+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you straighthen a line with memory

Hybrid View

Default How do you straighthen a line with memory

The line is a brand new Cabela Prestige WF4F, not the Plus. Tried fishing with it but the memory is so bad that I couldn't get a decent cast. The memory coils are the diameter as it comes off the reel.

If it's that bad I would string it up as tight as I can between my patio rails....especially on a hot day in the sun and leave it as long as I can.

Aside from that I would wrap it around something smooth like a trailer hitch... protecting the line with something and back away and stretch it hard...

Or have a friend hold one end with you on the other and both pull.

In other words ...stretch the H out of it.

If you have twists in the line stretching it will not help much. One way this can happen with a line fresh out of the box is if you took apart the line spool and pulled the line coils off and cranked them on to the reel you will have one twist for every coil. You can check this by pulling 3 or 4 feet of line off the reel and form a loop. If the loop twist up then you have twists in the line. You will then need to carefully work the twists out by laying out the line and repeatedly pulling the line through your fingers until all the twists are removed.

If you do not have twists then Ducksterman's advice will take care of the problem.

The easiest way is on the water, let all your line out downstream. This will allow all any twisting in the line to un-twist. now hand retrieve your line about 3' at a time, grab the line with 2 hands about 3' apart and give it a stretch or 2. Move on until all the line has been stretched. Now the line should be straight, uncoiled and un-twisted.

If it's that bad, I'd call Cabela's see you if can exchange the line. If not, I'd wrap the line around a big, roung trash can for a couple of days.

BTW, Cortland Sylk line has very little memory.

Randy

Strip all of the line off the reel and lay it out doubled over in the middle. Loop the center of the line around a smooth stable object. A trailer hitch ball is fine but I grease mine. Grab one end of the line in each hand and pull until you feel it start to stretch. Hold it for a few seconds then slowly let off the tension. Usually that will take out the curls.

+ Reply to Thread