Sport fishing column for April 12 to 19, 2010

In closing this present series of columns, I want to talk about hopes and dreams.

During one of our weekly club/fly tying meeting; the boys began talking about their future aspirations in sport fishing. Some wanted to go into guiding, others wanted to write for magazines, tie flies commercially, operate a shop, host a television show, or own a lodge. In my efforts to encourage them I said, "Dreams don't just happen boys. They require a solid decision and determination; otherwise dreams can become nothing more than empty words."

J N, who was always the most vocal of the group, responded with "These aren?t just words man; we are going to do this."

I told the boys I believed in them and their abilities, and that that all things are possible to those who believe they are. To make my point I explained to them that they were an active part in my dream. The dream of an eight year old boy; who after catching his first trout, determined that one day he would share the pleasures he found in fishing with anyone who was interested.

That dream, walked me though seasons as a fly fishing instructor, coach, youth club coordinator, and writer. What are your dreams in this sport and where are they taking you?

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes has improved, although windy conditions have made things challenging. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Big Black, Wooly bugger, Micro Leach, Baggy Shrimp, Coachman, Cased caddis, Zulu, or Doc Spratley. For dry (floating) fly fishing on sunny afternoons, try: Tom Thumb, Lady McConnel, Irresistible, Renegade, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Red Abbis, Red Spratley, Bloodworm, Royal Coachman, San Juan Worm, or red Micro Leach.

The Fraser River back waters and sloughs remain good for cutthroat, rainbow, and dolly varden. For cutthroat and rainbow try: Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Kaufmann Stone Nymph, Royal Wulff Coachman, Zulu, Chez Nymph, Black Gnat, Sooboo, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Stimulator. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #20 Eggo, Flesh Fly, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, black Popsicle, or Big Black.

The Stave River is good for cutthroat, rainbow, steelhead, and whitefish. For whitefish try: small (#14 to #20) Eggo, Flesh Fly, Griffith Gnat, Stone Nymph, Chironomid, or Caddis Nymph. For steelhead try: Squamish Poacher, Thor, GP, Popsicle, Big Black, Flat Black, Poplar Shrimp, Eggo, Purple Peril, Holliman, Steelhead Spratley, Steelhead Nightmare, or Kaufmann Stone.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat, and rainbow.

The Chehalis River is fair for steelhead, cutthroat, dolly varden, and rainbow.

The Vedder River is fair to good for steelhead, cutthroat, and rainbow.

We are teaching our fly fishing classes at Hatch Match'r Fly & Tackle this year. Our first session will run on two consecutive Saturdays, May 8 & 15. This course covers it all; from where to find your fish and what to use, to all the seldom covered aspects that govern fish feeding behavior. We have limited seating to 12, so call 1-604-820-4099 or 604-467-7118 today.

Wild pacific salmon or part of our heritage, say no the foreign national companies and their farmed fish.