Thread: Microfibbets/ mayfly tails

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ..... the Whiting product is real CDL. And the flies tied with it are real. And the trouts those flies catch are real, too.

John
    Oh no they are not.... (Sound like a pantomime dame now!) As I said Coq De Leon is plucked from a live bird from an area between the shoulders of the bird. They are a different feather completely from the Whiting necks. I have both. Whitings necks or saddles are from a similar colour strain, Pardo (which I believe means speckled in Spanish) or Indio (don't know what that means, except they are not speckled!) They then come in a range of colours under these headings from a light to a very dark.

I think the whiting birds originated from some CDL stock, but the feathers produced from the necks of the birds are completely different apart from similarities in the colours. The Spanish CDL come in plumes of usually 12 feathers and are normally labelled with a cardboard tag giving their origin. They have much longer fibres and are much much stiffer than the Whiting CDL necks.

Anyway enough of stealing this mans post.............. but if you are interested in CDL take a look here http://www.gallosdeleon.com/Ingles/ingles.html there are lots of other sites but many in Spanish or French so unless you speak the lingo you will have to believe me or them hahahaha

PS I just read Jims post and bow to his knowledge that the tailing packs are from the shoulders. I have never had the tailing packs I confess. So I stand back to his superior knowledge of them. I know what you mean about taking them out and looking at them Jim. They are a remarkable looking feather. Much too nice to use.
    Last edited by mickporter; 04-12-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter