+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Rod Replacement/Repair?

Hybrid View

Default Orvis Rod Replacement/Repair?

Hi All,

I had a wonderful outing trying to catch White Bass last night. I caught one fish, and slipped on some algae covered slab rock, landing on my rod hand. It happened so fast I did not have the presence of mind to toss or let go of my rod. I landed on my Orvis Trident TLS 6wt and snapped it off about 6 inches above the grip. I filled out the Orvis Rod repair request online today. They say they will respond in 1-2 business days, but my experience with Orvis is a very fast response, usually in hours, so I expect them to respond tomorrow.

So how long does it usually take to send the rod in, get them to inspect or decide if they will repair/replace it and get a rod back in my hands?? Anyone with this experience?

I ended up fishing the rest of the evening with my 7 wt. Glad I had another rod with me.

wayne

PS: Timeline

Sat 4/10 - Broke Rod falling in stream while fishing.
    Sun 4/11 - Filled out Orvis Repair request on web site.
    Mon 4/12 - Received Repair order from Orvis at 8:13AM. I expected a quick response from Orvis, and was not disappointed! Packaged up rod.
    Tues 4/13 - Dropped Rod off at FedEx. 4-day ground shipping.
    Fri 4/16 - FedEx reports rod delivered to Orvis.
    Fri 4/16 - Orvis called, offered choice of rods, placed replacement order!
    Mon 4/19 - Got UPS tracking no. from Orvis for replacement rod.
    Fri 4/23 - Bog Brown Truck showed up with replacement Rod!

Case closed! I am very satisfied with Orivs customer service in this case.
    Last edited by waynep; 04-23-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Depends on whether you ship it to them next day, 2 day or regular mailing; but graphite is usually shipped back within a work week & if it's badly damaged bamboo the wait is obviously longer.

Normand Guest

shipping methods per the above post and i doubt you'll go to the front of the line because there will be others ahead of you

i broke a sage last year and it took about 3 weeks total to get it back. luckily i have many other rods to use as a replacement. i havent even used that newly repaired sage yet!

I sent a rod to Orvis a year or two ago. I live in the midwest and I got a replacement rod back about a week later.

I broke an Orvis Superfine.....the last model with the burgundy blank. They replaced it with a same length & weight T3 model.

Keep us posted on how things go with your rod.

Thanks,
    Brian

Busted a Silver Label 9wt fishing for jacks in FL, contacted Orvis on-line, mailed broken rod and recieved replacement within 10 days; can't ask for better service than that.

Regards,
    Scott

I filled out the online repair request Sunday. Got email reply with shipping instructions this morning. Have to figure out how to find a box long enough for a 2 piece rod tube.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne

Wayne,

I've had good success with the triangular USPS priority mail tubes. They come in a couple of different lengths. The small hold items up to 25" and the medium up to 38". Longer tubes can be fabricated by putting two smalls, one small and one medium, or two mediums together to get tubes of varying length. Takes a little trimming and taping but I've been able to make it work for shipping long two piece rods.
    Joe Bertolini

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Warrenp;

I would appreciate it if you could keep us posted on your results with Orvis. I also had a mishap with an Orvis Trident TL 5wt, this Saturday evening. Had a buddy shut tailgate not noticing my rod laying there.(very dark) Still a 4 piece, just in wrong places. I won't get home till this weekend, so I will take action then.
    Thing is, I really liked the way that rod felt, and I don't believe they make them any longer. Not worried about Orvis, they have excellent rep. just wondering how different it will feel when I do get it back

Since you asked, I'll add dates/milestones in my original post.
    ----------------
    Wayne

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Thank you so much warrenp, when I start my process, I too will post, for any others with same or similar issues. But like I said, my process will start 4/16/2010
    Hope all turns out well for you (and I think it will) GOOD LUCK
    As for me...... I want THAT rod (sigh) This was my honey !!

+ Reply to Thread