+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre-formed loops on lines

Default Pre-formed loops on lines

Just wondering has anyone had any experience or got any opinions on preformed loops on fly lines?

I'm currently using a Rio Grande line with a factory made loop on the end, to this I attach a Rio tapered leader with a perfection loop on the end using a loop to loop connection. For some reason I'm having doubts about this setup and am considering cutting the loop off and needle knotting the leader to the line.

I have a feeling this may produce a better energy transfer from line to leader.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Dan

Daniel,

I've been using loop to loop connections for years and have noticed no loss of energy or sloppy turnovers.

I just bought a RIO Classic line with the same end loop and plan on leaving it in place. Casts well, turnsover well and no hinging.

REE

I have been using this setup for many years. Most of my fishing is bass both smallmouth and large mouth and bluegill. I like it because it is easy to change leaders. This year I plan on using lighter 3 and 4 wt outfits and I will need to experiment between the loop and nail knots.

I have been making looped ends in my lines for years. I use some fine fly tying nylon thread. I double the line back and wrap two layers of thread, finishing w/ some half hitches. trim off the excess line and finish w/ multiple coats of Hard as Nails nail polish. For silk lines I do the same thing using silk rod winding thread and spar varnish. I have noticed that after considerable use the plastic lines will show some cracking right next to the loop. I keep an eye out for this and cut it off and re wrap as needed.
    The loops do make for a bit more disturbance on pickup, and maybe there is a bit of hinging but for me the advantages out weight all that. I is nice to be able to reverse a double taper silk line without fumbling knots streamside.
    AgMD

The Rio welded loops worked well for me last season with one exception. I did have a Rio Grande 6 wt loop separate but hold together. I used it that way for the better part of a day without it breaking on the Madison in MT. That surprised me. It seemed to be holding together by a hair. I did cut it off and nail knot a perfection loop to the end. No issues and it still floats well. So many lines sink at the tip. I have not had that problem since going to Rio.

Consider an Albreight Loop for a line to leader loop type connection. It is great. Thanks to the inventor (Dave Micus).

jed

I do the same as AgMD, but with kevlar thread. I make a very small loop and with the butt section of the leader being 0.021 -
    0.019 I don't notice any hinging. I even color the loop with red perma marker and use it as a strike indicator.
    Fly Goddess

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

AgMd & Fly Goddess..................
    The whipped loop was made popular by Lefty and Mark Sosin in their book ?Practical Fishing Knots.? They have since revised their thinking after finding that this method will NOT hold up under the stress of larger and stronger fish. They now advise people to fold the line over, forming a loop and then tie two eight turn nail knots close together with 8 or 10 pound mono or 40 pound GSP. The result does not need to be coated but I still whip some tying thread over the connection just to make sure it passes through the guides easily. I then apply Loon?s Knot Sense to the final whipping. It is abrasive resistant and stays flexible.
    FFF Life Member #22

Loop to loop sucks. The major manufacturers want everybody to believe that it's the cat's meow. It isn't. It's out there for newbs and others that cannot tie a simple nail-knot or other connection. No offense, of course. It does affect flight and if you're running long leaders...fergedaboutid! Do a nail knot, and if you feel the need to run the loop to loop, do it between your leader and tippet.
    My coupla cents,
    Dan

Well, I respectfully have to disagree with 7Pines. I've been using a whipped loop-to-loop for many, many years without problems. I must say that I usually make my whipped loops with a double 5-turn Uni-knot and coat them with Pliobond or similar. I've never had one come loose and have caught some rather large carp, catfish, and alligator gar. Also a 32" brown, my largest trout to date. All on loop-to-loop connections, and if you take care in attaching your leader, the loops close up, causing no flight problems or problems passing thru guides.

+ Reply to Thread