+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BORCHER'S DRAKE - Fly of the Week - April 12, 2010

Blog Entries

Default BORCHER'S DRAKE - Fly of the Week - April 12, 2010

BORCHER'S DRAKE

An excellent generalized dark pattern used for Ephemerella, Isonychia, Leptophlebia and Siphlonurus sp. There is a parachute version that is also very popular today.*This delicate pattern deserves a place in everyone?s fly box.*It covers a large range of insects.

Many fly shops only offer this fly as a parachute tie but I like and fish the traditional version Tom has shown here. A drop of Sally Hansons on the top of the wrapped pheasant quill body before adding the wings and hackle help make it more durable.
    No one is making more water. Use what we have wisely.

This is a pattern that I'm never without. I rank it up there with the Adams. I'm partial to the parachute version but it really doesn't matter. It's a must have for sure. On a side note, I believe that Gates AuSable Lodge was the original Borchers Canoe Inn, purchased by Cal Gates Sr. Borchers is still there...just upriver, in town. I love how the names of old are still very much part of the local history today. I love everything about that river.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread