+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Material

Default New Material

Had to run up to Hickory today, so while I was up there I stopped in at Casters and walked out with Icelandic Sheep Hair in White and Light Olive. I have been wanting to tie up some bigger bodied flies.

Here is my first go at it...

Cold Guest

Just started tying with that stuff myself...when I use it though, I tie LONG streamers.

Have about 6 or 7 flies in my bass box right now, 4-6" long, tied with Icelandic Sheep, zonkers, krystal flash, rubber legs, etc. They look very fishy.

I plan on tying up some longer ones too. I think I need to find some bigger hooks though. The one pictured above is on a size 4 Gamakatsu Stinger hook.

Cold Guest

I've been tying mine on #1 and 2/0 mustad saltwater hooks. I'll have to take pics to put up, but imho, they look workable.

Bass_Bug Guest

Good looking fly, you might try a hook something like the Gamakatsu SC15- Wide Gape. I know they range at least from #4 to 3/0.

Not sure how secure the eyes are attached, but a dab of epoxy around the edges (especially the front/leading edge) would keep the eyes from ever coming off.

Here is a second go at it. I used a Eagle Claw 084F - 2/0. The eyes are supper glued on with the brush on Loctite brand. I was thinking that some epoxy would be a good idea. I guess I need to go and buy some. The 5 minute stuff should work right?

Bass_Bug Guest

5 min will do fine. Wait until you have several flies ready and do them at the same time. You can probably do at least 4 or 5 flies in the open time of the epoxy. Just have everything laid out and ready. I use toothpicks for applying small amount like you would need here.That way I don't have to worry about cleaning the bodkin I just toss them if they get to messy. It may only be seconds your saving but consider that 10 seconds cleaning epoxy off your bodkin after every fly can take a min off your 5 min set time. Also have some kind of foam ready to dry them in. I use the green floral foam, but anything thats easy to poke the hooks in to hold them will work. Ultimately a motorized dryer is desired, but for this kind of epoxy work it's not that big of deal.

Did a road trip to go and buy some native flowers from a lady about an hour away. Made extra use of my time and took my free Albright Yellowstone 8 wt to test out some flies at the head water of Lake Norman. I got my first fish on the rod and of this fly. I will for sure need to start epoxying the eyes on. I busted one eye off and then lost the fly. Then caught a Spotted Bass on the second one and busted one of the eyes off during the event. I am really happy with the flies. They look incredible in the water.

Last edited by Wingsdlc; 04-10-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Nice, nothing better then tying a new fly then flied test it and catching fish like that.

How awesome !!!!!
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

One of my favorite streamer materials. I like to tie long (7-8 inches) streamers with a trailer hook in all black. Great for heavily stained water. This pattern resulted in my largest bass ever, just over 10 lbs as well as some very nice channel cats. Great material that shows nice and bulky in the water yet doesn't hold water so it's not like casting a wet sock.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread