+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipment for a beginner

Default Equipment for a beginner

I am just getting into fly fishing. I am wondering what would be some reasonab le equipment to learn on that is toward the bottom in price. I realize that I will upgrade in the future, but the budget doesn't allow a lot now. Brand and model suggestions would be appreciated. I will be fishing for trout mostly in the Kern River (CA) and some of the smaller streams between there and Bishop area. I have some old Shakespeare rod and real sets, but am not sure they will do until I get something a little better.

------------------
    Randy de Jong, rank beginner but willing to learn

Im in the same boat as you. I would check out cabelas.com and bassproshops.com.
    I bought a phleuger beginners kit from bass proshops. It comes with everything you need to start. The reel broke, so I bought a
    Cabelas prestige reel. Not real expensive, but it has a disc drag and its worked good for me. I dont know if you were thinking of something better. Also, I ordered the fly assortmants from cabelas.com

The Phleuger medalist is another reel. I have never used it but i have heard good things about it, even from experts. Its only like 20 dollars I believe.

If your going for small trout, then the reel's main function, IMO is to store line. You dont need a 300 dollar drag system to slow down a small trout. Just get used to fly fishing now and later upgrade

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 13 February 2006).]

By the way can you cast yet?

Anthony, practise, practise and more practise. That is the key for everyone. Keep in mind to keep your stroke straight (painting a ceiling, not a wind shield wiper)
    You two might want to check out this DVD called the "Naked Truth about Nymphs" by the Trout Guys. Sure its about nymphs, but also gear, styles, knots, indicatores, reading water, and some on dries.
    As far as gear
    dejongster, combo deals are put out by all the big companies. Not familier with all I will say that Orvis has the Clearwater, battenkill package and they will give you the line. Good rod (great back-up when you up grade) Warranty, and I will say that I bet 98% of the fisher's out there have or have had a Battenkill. Bulldog of reels.
    For an all around rod (if I only had one) it would be the Mid Flex 9 ft. 5wt.
    Just my $0.02 worth

If your just getting into the sport, before you buy any tackle, you need to gague how much you think your going to get into it. If your not sure, go for price pint type gear, DO NOT go CHEAP. Too often people buy cheap stuff, and have a hard time learning. There is a lot of cheap stuff the an expert caster might have a hard time with, as a biginner, you will get more frustrated. If you think your gonna really get into it, buy high the first time, you'll never outgrow it or need to repace it. My advice, gague how much you can afford, and how much your gonna get into it, then talk to someone who knows there stuff. Avoid Basspro and Cabelas, yes that both have some good price point stuff, but you wont get any direction as to what is right for you as a new fly fisherman.

Randy, go on line and request the fly fishing (not fishing) catalogs from Orvis, LL Bean, and Cabela's. They are free and will give you some good information.

Look at their starter kits. These typically have a rod, reel, fly line and few other things at a very friendly price. They all want you to become a long term customr, so they aren't going to put their name on something that will disappoint you in terms of value.

That will also give you a price range you can use when you go shopping elsewhere. Look at the brands in the sponsor's section here as they've been endorsed for quality by the site owners. Check how thier prices compare.

Go to your local fly shop, tell them you are thinking of beginning, tell them your budget(you'll have a realistic one once you've looked at the catalogs) and see what they can do for you in terms of gear and price.

Then make your decision on what to buy and where. It will be an informed one and get you off to a good start.

The first thing you will want to replace when you get around to upgrading will probably be your fly line. The ones that come with the kits are OK, but you'll get the most performance improvement by upgrading your fly line and the least improvement by upgrading your reel.

these last two posts offer up excellent advice.

ibought my niece a p.o.s. multi-piece flyrod from walmart. came strung up w/ some kinda level line. this thing proved nearly impossible to cast. whereas a beginner outfit from cabelas, llbean or orvis would actually be user friendly.

Hook & Hackle ( a sponsor here) has introductory outfits from 80 to $130. I would laen towart the st croix outfit but that is just me

Have you considered just putting a new line on the outfit you have. I assume they are glass rods and are a bit heavier and slower than graphite rods but will work just fine as long as the equipment is in good shape.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Randy,

The catalogs that oldfrat suggested are a good start. And yes, the Pflueger Medalist (1494) is also a good deal and a wise choice. I personally do not believe a beginner should buy high end stuff. Most of the low end rods of today are miles above what the low end rods were in my early days, and I would have been happy to have learned on any of them. (Stay away from the rods with the foam rubber grips and words like "Ugly" in the name.) A beginner can be rough on tackle, particularly the rod. There is no point in spending hundreds of dollars on an outfit that might develop some serious issues during your first season or two.

Be deligent and work on your technique. Don't make the mistake of blaming your tackle if your initial results are not as encouraging as you'd like. Of course, it is important to get a balanced outfit. Hopefully, an experienced fly fisherman can help you with that.

+ Reply to Thread