+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted: Suggestions for Rotator Cuff Pain-going on 5 day fishing trip

Default Help Wanted: Suggestions for Rotator Cuff Pain-going on 5 day fishing trip

Hello,
    Looking for help with rotator cuff pain. I have trouble with both shoulders at times. But I am ok. Strained the left one 3 days ago. Doing ok. Lifted batteries yesterday, not over my head of course. Just straight arms down carried some batteries around. No probs. This morning I cannot even wipe with my left hand. Apologize for the pain description but it is an accurate way to describe the level of pain. Now....what can I do to aid this situation as I go on the already paid for fishing trip? I don't think you exercise the shoulders when you are IN pain. And I do not like to take pain pills, and therefore do not have any. My question is:

How can/should I handle this shoulder for the next 8 days....and still get to fly fish? It is the left shoulder and I cast right handed....reel and control line left handed.

Any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Hate to have a fly fishing trip on the famous San Juan..... ruined by bad luck with my shoulder. I don't get to go on many trips as it is. In fact, this the only one that is a real fishing trip....that I have ever gotten to do.

Jim
    Last edited by Gemrod; 04-08-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Jim, See a doctor. That level of pain should not be ignored. If it wil not cause more damage to fish a physicain can also give you something for the pain.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Jim

I tore my right shoulder years ago, so I feel your pain. No pun intended. Your lucky you cast right handed and it is your left shoulder. I suppose you have already gone to see the doctor. If not I would. If it is not torn too bad he will tell you to rest it and give you some pain medication. Eight days of rest just might help. If you have not and intend not to, then I would take some Advil or Alieve and try and rest that shoulder as much as possible.

Good luck!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Normand Guest

only a doctor can diagnose and prescribe a treatment regime designed for you.

I have a similar lingering issue. Sometimes a preventative dose of Alieve will help.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Blog Entries

Do your rotator cuff exercises, rubber bands and door jambs. If you don't have a regimen, see your doctor and a physical therapist. My pain was bad and getting worse. The exercises worked for me, both shoulders.

Blog Entries

It is very helpful to be able to cast with either hand, practice with your off hand and get good enough to place the fly within a 2 area. When your strong hand shoulder gets to bothering you go to your off hand. That is helpful to do anyway, for instance if you are sitting in the back seat of a drift boat, being able to cast with either hand is great. Also, do the old Joan Wulff trick and make like you have a dollar bill placed between your elbow and your side, in other words, don't cast with your shoulder or upper arm, that can really save the shoulders. Get some anti-inflammatories and start taking them a day or two before your trip, and while you are on your trip. Cool packs then hot packs, back and forth, in the evening help out. A little Yukon Jack never hurt either .

Enjoy your trip. Pain will be forgotten in a few days, but the memories of your trip can last a life time.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Cool

Whiskey,,,,, though it may mess with your casting somewhat.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Probably improve my casting tremendously. Thanks for the help everybody. Especially the "exercise" now....not wait for the pain to go away. THAT was something I wanted to know. I do have a regime of exercises and the rubber band. Just don't do the exercises and now pulled it. I know to do the exercises while having the pain. So I am good to go on that one. Thank you for telling me to go ahead with the exercises. That is very very helpful.

I was hoping for some home remedy or snake oil treatment of some kind. I will need to start the exercise regime today. Leaving day after tomorrow. Will be fishing Sunday.

Thanks everbody.

Jim

Blog Entries

I have a hip that will act up on me once in a while resulting in pain on the level you described and I use those air activated heating pads. Thermacare is the brand name. If heat helps, take a few of those along. They work for me.

Crown Royal and Motrin for the light stuff.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread