+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not FF, Gooseneck Flashlight Holder

Hybrid View

Default Not FF, Gooseneck Flashlight Holder

OK, my question is not really FF related, but I guess it could be used to help out a fly tyer. I have 2 immediate uses for a gooseneck (flexible neck) flashlight holder. One would be for my Grill the other for my mini-wood lathe. I bought a gooseneck LED light made for the grill and used it on my grill but, as it turned out, it was not waterproof and got wet inside the first rain and now it works sporadically. I specifically looked on the packaging to see if it gave any indication that it was not weather/waterproof and could find none (I would not have bought it if it wasn't, I don't want to keep putting it on and taking it off as I used the grill). However, I can get a cheap LED flashlight that is waterproof, but would prefer a gooseneck type of holder for it. If I could find such a beast, I would probably add more to my other bench tools that extra light would be handy for.

Any pointers would be helpful. I realize MY use is not FF related, but I can think of a few uses that FF's could put one to use. The closest is one sold by Lee Valley, but it does not have a flexible neck.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

PS. If this violates the rules, I apologize, I seem to recall other threads with similar topics (i.e. could be used in FF, but not the specific use of the product).

I use a LED headlight like one of these for lot's of things around the house. Grilling, looking under the bed, tying flies sometimes, anywhere/time I need a little more light than what's naturally there. This comes on a lot handier than any flashlight. It's not as bright as some lights, but it's always shining where I am looking. I think some newer ones are brighter than the one I have.

----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

How hard to take the gooseneck part of what you have and replace the flashlight with a waterproof one?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Rainbow,

Funny you should ask, I did almost that last night. I was actually attempting to fix the switch when a lead for the batteries broke off the switch and killed the hopes of ever getting that light to work again. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I tore into it, pulling out the LED/reflector combo. Behind the LED/reflector there is a nut holding the light housing on, I can re-use that nut to hold a conduit strap, and mount a Harbor Freight LED flashlight (once I pay them a visit to buy it) in the conduit strap and I will be good to go. I just need to get the flashlight and a conduit strap of the same dimension of the flashlight. However, that's rather expensive if I were to do it for multiple lights for other projects (I paid $20 for the grill light, dangnabbit! <- trying to keep it family friendly I don't normally hold back). I guess I need to take a really thorough perusal of the local HF to see if there are any inexpensive items that can be altered to suit my purposes because a google search comes up negative for anything.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread