+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talapia Flies

Hybrid View

Default Talapia Flies

I moved south and this pond across the fairway appeared to be full of Bass beds. Boy was I exicited. The next morning I threw poppers and streamers and, after an hour, caught only one Bass. The following morning I threw jerk baits and nothing. The next morning it was Zara Spooks and again nothing. Not even a good hit. A guy in the neighborhood said he thought the fish on the beds were Talapia. So I looked up Talapia on the internet fishing source and it said throw away your lures, they only eat vegetation.

But one sentence caught my attention. It said use a fly rod and reel with wet flies. Does anyone have any experience catching Talapia on flies. The beds are everywhere and you can see plenty of fish on the beds and you would think you found a great fishing spot, but they don't bite. Suggestions on flies would be appreciated. Tom

I am with you, my sister's pond is stocked with Talapia . . .
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I googled tilapia fly and came up with a bunch of hits right away of people catching them. Looks like they behave like other panfish, throw small dries/nymphs/mosquita larva/tiny streamers at them.

jack Guest

hey, tom,
    you have really struck a gold mine if they are tilapia. i have an awesome opportunity to fish in three farm ponds owned by a doctor friend of mine. every spring, just about now, he will stock all three ponds with 300 tilapia juveniles. they are about 3 inches long and most are white. doc likes to catch big bass and he says they love those tilapia. the tilapia continue to grow, if they don't get eaten and when the temps of the ponds here in mid ala. hit about 52, they start to die. i net them with a crab net and pack my freezer with 2-3 pound tilapia. about 30 is the most i have netted. well worth the effort on a cold january day. but i digress. the question is: can they be caught? darn right they can. i use a 5wt. tfo with dt5 line. use a #1 hook at the end. put one red worm about one inch long on the hook being careful to hide the hook inside the worm. i usually hook the worm at the head end and let the tail dangle. tilapia cruse the bank looking in the detritus for worms and nymphs. mostly they eat the algae but occasionally they will forage for live things.
    hope this help. let me know how big they are. i'll bring the cooking oil.
    jackl

sponge spiders work

much depends on what species of talapia it is...the really big ones which you are probably describing as blue talapia around here...there are also spotted talapia which are way easier to catch since they are protective of the young...they are mouth brooders so when you see a pair together and small babies then they knock the fire out of anything that is dabbling around them...last around here there is Mozambique Talapia and they are the hardest to find and the most rare I guess...I have caught only 1 myself...the huge beds your describe can sometimes bring luck...if you cast a small flie into the bed and let it sit sometimes they will eventually swim over and pick it up to move it....I see really big ones here ....easy 10lbs...had other pics but too large to download...this is the blue or grey talapia

Last edited by bonefishwhisperer; 04-08-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: pictures too big

+ Reply to Thread