+ Reply to Thread

Thread: labeling computer cables - off topic

Hybrid View

Default labeling computer cables - off topic

Didn't really know where to post this but I can't be the only one with this issue. I have 7 digital cameras in the house, 3 Ipods, digital thermometer that logs data into the computer and gizmo after gizmo that uses a USB connection. I have a pile of cables. What is the best way to find the one that you want when you want it?

It's getting so bad that I am thinking of putting some masking tape on them and labeling the masking tape. Most of the time it is looking at the connections and rummaging through a pile of USB connections. So how do you keep them all straight. Looking for an easy inexpensive answer to a growing problem.

Rick

Rick,
    Masking Tape and a Sharpie

Blog Entries

Most of your iPods can use the same cable as can many of the USB devices. You can get colored marking tape in the electrical section at Home Depot and Lowes. Cut some small pieces to stick a square on the device and put a wrap of the same color on the cable that fits it. I think you will be surprised to find that the same cable fits more than one device. I have 3 different bluetooth headsets. All 3 take the same USB cable for charging and can be plugged into a USB port on any of my computers or laptops to charge, too! All 3 cameras use the same USB cable and all of the iPods / iPhones in the house take the same cable.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    Most of your iPods can use the same cable as can many of the USB devices.
    they may work for you but i have an ipod and an itouch ipod and the ipod cable doesnt work with the itouch ipod and vice versa. nor does any of my ipod cables work with my blackberry cell phone.

i use standard avery address labels oi id my computer cables

As Kevin said, most of your devices probably use the same cable (the iPods might be the exception). My wife and I each an iPod and an iPhone and the same cable can be used on either device so I keep one sync cable by the computer the others are plugged into the power blocks where we charge our phones. As to cameras I don't know of many cameras anymore which don't use the mini-USB standard. So realisticially you really only need 1 USB cable for getting pictures off your cameras.

The only wild card would be your Blackberry and I know many of those use a mini-USB connector (just like your cameras) so the same cable might be used for this one as for the cameras. If however you feel the need to keep all the cables around as Normand said Avery labels work well or one of those pTouch label writers work well as well (we use those where I work).

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Just lable them, we have four different mp3/Ipod's in our house and all the mp3' use the same cable but not the Ipod. The same cable for the mp3's work for my Kodak camera but I still mark them in case a cable goes bad.

Fatman

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Moffitt View Post
    As to cameras I don't know of many cameras anymore which don't use the mini-USB standard. So realisticially you really only need 1 USB cable for getting pictures off your cameras.

The only wild card would be your Blackberry and I know many of those use a mini-USB connector (just like your cameras) so the same cable might be used for this one as for the cameras. If however you feel the need to keep all the cables around as Normand said Avery labels work well or one of those pTouch label writers work well as well (we use those where I work).

Brian
    i think all of my cameras have the mini usb connector as does the blackberry. i just cant use a ipod cable on any of them

I have 4 iPods. Two 5G iPod Video (me and wife), a Nano and a newer 3G Touch. I can use any of the cables for any of them. The one that came with the iPod Video has the "release" buttons on the side while the others don't. It does not matter, they all work. I keep one cable in the car, one plugged into the computer, and can plug in any iPod in either location.

You should really only one cable of each type. 1 iPod cable, one micro USB cable, one mini-USB cable etc.

My camera, 3 GPS's and Logitech TV remote all use the Mini-USB even though they came with their own cables. My phone, and another camera use the same micro-USB cable.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Normand Guest

i just plugged in my 3rd generation ipod touch to a 3rd generation ipod charger and got the warning message "charging is not supported by this accessory"

+ Reply to Thread