Thread: Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Threaded View

1. Default Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column

Sport fishing column for April 5 to 12, 2010

In my third year as fly fishing club coordinator I had 50 kids sign up between two schools. This was a stretch for a guy who up to three years before had no training as a coach or teacher. Having hit my choke point, and knowing I was in big need of some mentoring, I wrote the venerable Lefty Kreh. Through a series of letters and phone calls I was directed to Phil Genova, founder of the Fly Fishers Apprentice Program, and author of "First Cast Teaching Kids to Fly Fish". Phil was a great mentor who encouraged me to get the kids involved in local fisheries restoration projects as well as teaching them to fish.

My efforts led us to become involved with the DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada) sponsored Fish Smart program (an interactive program designed for teachers to teach sport fishing and respect for the environment in the classroom). As program for kids, the designers wanted the children to write some of the content, which is where my club members came in. In May of its second year, three of the members of the Kwahyquitam club wrote content, and were published in the DFO's Fish Smart manual. One of those three was my oldest daughter Morgan; another pleasing moment of which there are many, in a fantastic sport.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow due to the unsettled weather. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Big Black, Wooly bugger, Micro Leach, Baggy Shrimp, Coachman, Cased caddis, Zulu, or Doc Spratley. For dry (floating) fly fishing on sunny afternoons, try: Tom Thumb, Lady McConnel, Irresistible, Renegade, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Red Abbis, Red Spratley, Bloodworm, Royal Coachman, San Juan Worm, or red Micro Leach.

The Fraser River back waters and sloughs are fishing well for cutthroat, rainbow, and dolly varden. For cutthroat and rainbow try: Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Kaufmann Stone Nymph, Royal Wulff Coachman, Zulu, Chez Nymph, Black Gnat, Souboo, irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Stimulator. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #2) Eggo, Flesh Fly, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, black Popsicle, or Big Black.

The Stave River is good for cutthroat, rainbow, steelhead, and whitefish. For whitefish try: small (#14 to#20) Eggo, Flesh Fly, Griffith Gnat, Stone Nymph, Chironomid, or Caddis Nymph. For steelhead try: Squamish Poacher, Thor, GP, Popsicle, Big Black, Flat Black, Poplar Shrimp, Eggo, Purple Peril, Holliman, Steelhead Spratley, Steelhead Nightmare, or Kaufmann Stone.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat, and rainbow.

The Chehalis River is fair to good for steelhead, cutthroat, dolly varden, and rainbow.

The Vedder River is fair to good for steelhead, cutthroat, and rainbow.

We are teaching our fly fishing classes at Hatch Match'r Fly & Tackle this year. Our first session will run on two consecutive Saturdays, May 8 & 15. This course covers it all; from where to find your fish and what to use, to all the seldom covered aspects that govern fish feeding behavior. We have limited seating to 12, so call 1 604-820-4099 or 604-467-7120 today.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".
    Last edited by fishingnewsman; 04-06-2010 at 04:52 PM.