Thread: Fly display

Threaded View

If you want the how-to on this, travel over to New Braunfels this weekend for a class led by Kyle Hand. The FFF Gulf Coast Council is holding their Conclave at the New Braunfels Civic Center on Friday and Saturday and Kyle is teaching a class on this subject. There will be a lot of great tiers as well as a number of classes.

I use Bugle Beads available at the craft store to mount my flies. These are hollow glass beads that are elongated and available in several lengths. Select a backing board - matte board works fine as does the foam core display board - and create holes in it at the location of the hook eye and the center of the bend of the hook. Place the fly on the matte board to select the location and make very light marks. Insert the bugle beads through the hole but they should be tight in the holes. run some 5x tippet throuth the eye of the hook and both ends through the bugle bead. Pull it tight from the back and hold it in place with some tape. Make a loop around the hook bend and do the same. Once the fly is secured where you want it, add a drop of superglue where the tippet comes through the matte board to permanently secure it. I usually select an oval matte board that is placed right up against the glass on the shadow box that is complimentary in color to the frame and matte board. Put it all together (clean the glass first) and you're done. This makes a lot more sense when you see it done and it's really very simple. The fly 'floats' in space in the frame and the hackle doesn't get crushed. Here's an example of this technique done by a friend of mine who taught me.

flymount1.jpg
    flymount2.jpg
    Last edited by TxEngr; 04-07-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Added photos..