+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Bread" fly?

A ranger from the local park system gave a talk on fishing the locals parks last year at one of our fly fishing club meetings. He said a buddy of his tied a deer hair "marshmellow" fly after watching trout gobbling up left over mini-marshmellows.

Some bait fishers use the little marsh mellows to help float their worm in the water and toss the left overs in the water when they leave...so the fish are trained to think those white blobs are food.

I haven't tried it yet mostly because I'm too lazy to spin that much deer hair. I have however found a source for small white foam cylinders that look just like those marsh mellows.

One of these days, I'll put a couple of 'em on a hook just to see if the trout really are that stupid.

The first fish I ever caught on a fly rod were all caught using poppers! I love those flies!

I was trying to teach my son fly casting a couple years ago at a local pond. I had a popper tied on since they're so easy to see (in the air and on the water)...the baby large mouth bass couldn't leave it alone.

The local craft stores sell a small marshmellow-looking foam cylinder that's probably even easier than using those popper bodies. Just poke a hole in it where you want to feed in the hook and you're all set.

Much easier even than gluing up stacks of craft foam and cutting your own cylinders (which I've done for making foam bodies with bumble-bee colors...).

Thanks for the tip.

Hey guys great tips and stories and all. I thought this might be an ignored or low reply thread. Thanks for keeping it interesting.

Here's a story that I have been wanting to share but never found the right time or place. My wife noticed that we had some old chinese noodles in the cabinet that were outdated, so she took that and some old bread with us when we went to a different pond (this one's a storm water retaining pond that always has water). There're always ducks there and we've fed them in the past. When it got time to throwing the chinese noodles (these are the 1/8" thick 1" long hard noodles that LaChoy and other companies sell at grocery stores) the ducks were going nuts over them, only they were too hard for the ducks to eat. We were about to give up and throw the noodles away, thinking we didn't want any ducks to choke, when all of a sudden a frenzy of feeding was going on. Apparently some of the noodles got water logged and sank, the catfish that feed on the bottom must have eaten them and they were rising to get more. We started throwing more of the noodles in, after seeing this, and the fish were having a field day. As a matter of fact the ducks got ticked off and started to nip at the fish. See, once the noodles had been in the water a while, they softened and the ducks were able to eat them, so they were fighting over them with the fish and when the fish wood get a noodle that the duck was after, he/she would get nipped. It was LOL funny to watch. I was almost rolling on the wood deck that was built over the pond.

I've never seen that before. I have fed fish with bread, I have fed ducks with bread, but never both at the same time (normally ducks are much quicker than the fish, I guess the noodles evenned out the odds for the fish).

Paul

bagel fly for gefeltafish...

Hi All,
    You might want to check out the thread in Warm Water Fishing about how to fish Ian James' Puke Fly. It's a very good minnow pattern and could even be mistaken by fish for a piece of bread (who really knows what they're thinking when they take this fly?). I've used it to catch both big, fat brown trout in tailwaters and bigger, fatter carp in those shady spots along the river under the willow trees.

onthefly

Gandalf:

If you ever get a chance to fish the "Run" at Boiling Springs, PA that feeds into the Yellow Breeches, a bread fly can be deadly.

Maybe that's where Vocelli was fishin' .

In any case the locals feed the trout bread and any white marabou fly will work during the feeding frenzy. I actually saw some guy chumming with bread while fishing and he got caught by the Warden, it was hysterical! Unscrupulous me caught more than a few fish on white streamers while this idiot was breaking the law.

In my search for the patterns that imitate the weird things trout will eat, I have fashioned two versions of a French Fry Fly, one with ketchup the other without, it worked great on trout that lived in a stream behind a McDonald's, really! I also have a Cigarette Butt Fly but I only have a regular version, no menthol. Both are fashioned of clipped deer hair.

I also at one time had a Penny Fly for fish that swam around in wishing wells or ponds and a Loogie Fly, a blend of green and white marabou for streams where Longshoremen fish.

I never got around to making a Chewing Gum Fly or Gum Wrapper Fly but I have been working on a Sunflower Seed Fly made of clipped and spun deer hair for these gills that attack the sunflower seeds I often time munch on while fishing.

By the way, the Cigarette Butt and French Fry flies are DEADLY on ducks if Mallard fishing ever becomes legal in PA.

When I was younger we used to fish with dough balls or sponges with this stinky stuff my Grandad made. I think this all works more by smell than color/shape. Glue a sponge to a hook and shoot it with WD40. I think you would be suprised at the results.

Even the purists agree. Dan Bailey's now sells glo-balls in "pellet olive." Great on hatchery trout.

Litehen55...

I hear ya,...thats something isn't it. Last year i stood there with a "greased up" white bugger...but couldn't do it...not to mention there were quite a few folks milling around...not sure if they would have taken it or not...sure is tempting...
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

+ Reply to Thread