+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Bread" fly?

Default "Bread" fly?

I saw the thread about a "corn" fly (or it may have been a mention in a thread that was not about "corn" flies) where the poster mentioned that he tied flies that looked similar to corn or was looking for a fly to simulate corn on a hook. Got me thinking. I have fished at a pond inside a county park. The park has a picnic area right alongside the pond that is offlimits to fishing. Kids and adults frequently toss bread in to feed the fish (my son and I included). I was wondering if anyone had ever fished in an area with a similar feeding situation and attempted to tie a "bread" fly to fool the fish and if that was successful. And also to see if there are any bread patterns available.

If I was going to try something like this, I would, just as a first time experiment, probably tie a corn fly but use white materials to simulate bread. Just wondering if there was anything more interesting, complex whatever available.

Note: This is meant to be a fun question to kick around, not that I am actually going to do this. I actually find it intersting to find out what else the fish (bluegill, crappie and bass mainly) feed on that they'll accept from me. Throwing bread at them from the picnic area works 100% of the time when my son and I are feeding them (not fishing them).

Paul

White or wheat is the dilemma.

Have also heard of a nugget fly to simulate fish food at the hatchery.

You're question got me thinking while avoiding real work - so I googled and found this little gem! The bottom of the page lists instructions for a bread fly too. [url=http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/tyingcarpflies05.html:66397]http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/tyingcarpflies05.html[/url:66397]

------------------
    Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck betide us;
    Let us journey to a lonely land I know.
    There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us,
    And the Wild is calling, calling. . .let us go.
    -Call of the Wild, Robert Service

great link you posted. for any carp related info, check out carpanglersgroup.com. THere is even a fly fising for carp section of the forum.

At my pond, someone was feeding the ducks with bread, and my friend tossed in is hook and before he could even react, he had a 25 LB common carp on the other end.

If you make the corn or bread flies small enough, they can be deadly for bluegill as well

Gandalf, another recipe for a bread fly, substitute the glo yarn for an off white sponge material, then you can fish it wet or dry. torn up sponge looks a lot like a peice of bread

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

[This message has been edited by Garic (edited 14 February 2006).]

Darthwader...and here I am with a vise LOL.
    Sounds a bit like cabin fever. It's been hi-80s here LA.

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Closed cell foam in white with one edge marked with a brown marker works well in a somewhat local "civic center" pond. Yep, it is handy to have good warm weather, calm weather, and people feeding the fowl. Like "pay to play" fishing, most challenges are gone, so it is not long term entertainment by any stretch, but it WILL suffonsify the sufficiency when needs be.
    ....lee s.

8. Default

Believe it or not, at Rusty Gates lodge on the Ausable, in front of the lodge they have the "bread hole" where they feed trout. This is right in the middle of the Holy Water, and very regularly 15-18" trout eat the bread thrown in. It is a flies only, catch and release stream, but a guy throwing a bread fly could probably have a field day. Now, because it is right in the lodge's front yard no self respecting fly fisherman would do this....Maybe I need less self respect....

Take a look at this thread link May 10, 2005 Fly Tying Forum .
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/004656.html:f5449]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/004656.html[/url:f5449]

BTW, in addition to mullet, carp, and other fish mentioned they work on sucker fish also.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 14 February 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I like spun and clipped deer hair..I use a tan color at the bend and then finnish off the remainder of the hook useing white belly hair...trim to a nice bread thickness...My neices used to feed the ducks at their local town lake...and we also fished for gills with corn a bread dough balls..well they used those..I used a bread fly...! good times!!..have not done that in years....hummmm..I have kids of my own now!!! and they are at about that age....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread