I have an Orvis Trident TLS 8' 1wt rod that is excellent for perch fishing and with it being an 8.0 flex rod, I was really surprised how far and how big of a fly I can throw. It will haul it out there but when you catch even the smallest of brim, you can for sure feel it on the rod.

I have used it with as large as a 3x tippet and it will still turn it over good. Its an excellent rod!

What I don't prefer about it is that it is a 2pc. rod and I really want to migrate to all travel rods. The other is I've come to enjoy the slower rods better than the mod-fast rods and the one I have is faster than I'd like ... but all that is fly fisherman's preference.

I actually have mine on here for sale as I am wanting to get one of those Superfine trout bum rods (1wt or 2wt) as I was very novice (still am) when I purchased my Orvis rods but have come to enjoy a slower rod more. I would rate my Orvis 1wt as a moderatly fast rod.

I took my 1wt to BassPro to compare it with the TFO Finesse rod and found it to be more like a TFO 2 or even 3wt finesse rod in its feel.

One thing that took me by surprise was TFO's professional series rod. It felt to me more limber than TFO's finesse series rod. If it would have came in a 4 piece rod, I would have bought it and for sure would have preferred it over their finesse series.

As for the wt of the rod and pulling out the perch with it, I guess its all in what you want and the conditions you fish in. The guys who have commented before me as sure to have more knowledge and experience than I do but when I have a fish on, I want to have something of a rod bending fight on my hands no matter how small the fish is ... that is why I prefer the 1 or 2wt rods. I dont fish in heavy cover though much. The ponds and small rock rivers I fish are usually fairly clean without much brush in it so I don't have to worry about hauling a large perch out before it trys to wrap up.

My 1wt. rod was very hard to find. My Orvis dealer called the Orvis rep and he spent two weeks trying to find a store in which there was one. Finally one was found in Houston and shipped to my local dealer. Its paired with an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor I reel and its great!

I also would like to get a Sage 000wt rod but finding one I can afford is another issue, lol!

Good luck on your quest and let us know which one you picked up and how its working for you,

Dan