+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one wt

Default one wt

I have been thinking of getting a one weight for super bluegill fun. Any suggestions on what would be good.

Thanks
    Jason 3DW
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I have been thinking along the same lines. A 1wt is too small for the big blue gills and heavy structure in most of my local waters, but there are a few where a 1wt would be a lot of fun. Of the two that I have compared, The Sage TXL 1wt would be great. Fantastic. Very nice. The TFO Finesse series 1wt would be good but at 6'9" is shorter than I like. Its about $400 less than the Sage though. I definitely like the Sage TXL better, primarily because of the length. Enough to consider paying the extra $.

I haven't tried the Orvis Superfine 1wt. Its probably a very nice rod. Its about the same price as the Sage.

I have a 2wt and there are times that it isn't enough and I pull out a 4wt on blue gills. A 1 wt would be a blast, but I have also wondered about the TXL in a 00 wt. Let us know what you choose.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

The other thing to consider is the size fly you'll be flinging. I have a pair of 2wt rods I love to death, but on bluegills I'm generally throwing flies big enough it takes a heavier rod to throw them so I spend most of my time with a 4wt.
    Last edited by Bluegill222; 04-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

I have a 2 wt that I love to cast, but it is limited due to wind as well. If you fish in an area where it might be breezy often, you'll have trouble using it very much. Keep a 4 for a back up just in case.
    If I was going to go with a 1 or 0 weight, I'd look at the Dan Craft Sig III line and build one up. He has a 6'10" 3 pc and a 7' 2 piece available in a 1 weight or a 6'1" 0 weight.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I purchased a 6ft 3wt last year and sold it after 3 trips after gills. Keep in mind, that if you have a 6ft rod & are walking banks.....you are going to need a 5ft leader/tippet to keep your line out of the weeds without too much effort. I went back to a 7ft rod and it was a HUGE improvement. Also, much less than a 3wt, and even a decent sized gill in lilly pads will be a tough situation:^) Plus as mentioned, anything more than a slight breeze and a 1-2wt with a hairbug is near useless. I would presonally recommend a faster action 7' minimum 3wt. I won't lie though....the lighter lines are fun....for awhile.

Blog Entries

Cabelas CC701 is a 7-foot one-weight. I have one of the rod and reel sets with an extra reel for cheating and uplining to a 2-wt, double tape line. I have not used it much and it has been known to whisper to me when we're along together in the same room. It's sad when your fly rods can make you feel guilty for not spending enough time with them...

Ed

I built a 1 wt. Great fun to catch gills on, but a pain to cast if there is much wind.

Rick

Cold Guest

I'm currently having a 1wt built for me on a TFO Finesse blank. For what I wanted to spend, it was the best blank out there for my purposes. I can't really justify the dinero they want for a Sage anything, at full price. For less than I'd have spent on a TXL, I'm getting the TFO, decked out with great components and a Sage 3100 reel w/ a DT1F Quiet Double Taper.

Then again, mine will be used primarily for tiny flies, small streams, and mountain brookies, so we're looking for similar rods but with very different purposes.

I'll agree with ol' blue on the Dan Craft suggestion. A lot of bang for the buck. I built up the the sig III 0wt 2 years ago that I absolutely love for bluegills. I only use my 2wt now if the wind is 20mph +. Plus once you learn how to fight fish on it, it can handle just about anything that you will run into in a warm water situation(except carp).

+ Reply to Thread