+ Reply to Thread

Thread: one wt

Hybrid View

Default one wt

I have been thinking of getting a one weight for super bluegill fun. Any suggestions on what would be good.

Thanks
    Jason 3DW
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I have been thinking along the same lines. A 1wt is too small for the big blue gills and heavy structure in most of my local waters, but there are a few where a 1wt would be a lot of fun. Of the two that I have compared, The Sage TXL 1wt would be great. Fantastic. Very nice. The TFO Finesse series 1wt would be good but at 6'9" is shorter than I like. Its about $400 less than the Sage though. I definitely like the Sage TXL better, primarily because of the length. Enough to consider paying the extra $.

I haven't tried the Orvis Superfine 1wt. Its probably a very nice rod. Its about the same price as the Sage.

I have a 2wt and there are times that it isn't enough and I pull out a 4wt on blue gills. A 1 wt would be a blast, but I have also wondered about the TXL in a 00 wt. Let us know what you choose.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

The other thing to consider is the size fly you'll be flinging. I have a pair of 2wt rods I love to death, but on bluegills I'm generally throwing flies big enough it takes a heavier rod to throw them so I spend most of my time with a 4wt.
    Last edited by Bluegill222; 04-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

I have a 2 wt that I love to cast, but it is limited due to wind as well. If you fish in an area where it might be breezy often, you'll have trouble using it very much. Keep a 4 for a back up just in case.
    If I was going to go with a 1 or 0 weight, I'd look at the Dan Craft Sig III line and build one up. He has a 6'10" 3 pc and a 7' 2 piece available in a 1 weight or a 6'1" 0 weight.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I purchased a 6ft 3wt last year and sold it after 3 trips after gills. Keep in mind, that if you have a 6ft rod & are walking banks.....you are going to need a 5ft leader/tippet to keep your line out of the weeds without too much effort. I went back to a 7ft rod and it was a HUGE improvement. Also, much less than a 3wt, and even a decent sized gill in lilly pads will be a tough situation:^) Plus as mentioned, anything more than a slight breeze and a 1-2wt with a hairbug is near useless. I would presonally recommend a faster action 7' minimum 3wt. I won't lie though....the lighter lines are fun....for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Threedayweekend View Post
    I have been thinking of getting a one weight for super bluegill fun. Any suggestions on what would be good.

Thanks
    Jason 3DW

Well I always say go cast different rods and see what YOU like the best.

I have several ultra light rods that I do most of my fly fishing with. They are as follows: Sage 000710-3 TXL (000wt), Sage 080-3 SPL (0wt), Sage 080-3 SLT (0wt) and a TFO 3wt. I also used to have an Orvis Superfine 761-4 (1wt). I sold the Orvis rod this year though as I really did not fish it anymore. I do own rods that throw heavier line, however most of my fly fishing is done with the rods listed above except the TFO. Don't get me wrong some people like TFO rods it is just that rod was a gift and it does not suite me that well.

I have fished these rods in various conditions, with different setups (mostly for trout). I never have felt "under gunned" in the conditions I have fished these rods in so far. Granted I mostly fish them in small remote creeks. I do also fish them in larger waters for larger fish with the same success as with my 5wt rods. Here is a thread of a few of my trips this year. I threw my light lined rods in all of those reports except 1 (I never specifically mention the rods I throw as I bring several). I also bring other rods incase I feel like not messing around with nymphing with a 000wt all day.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-report-thread

Blog Entries

I have a Cabelas Clear Creek one weight that has been delightful. Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued that line but I am going to drill down into their site further just in case I missed something.
    I can't imagine anyone giving up their's but you might find one on eBay.

+ Reply to Thread