+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whre to find a fly fishing backpack

Default Whre to find a fly fishing backpack

Anyone know where to find a decent fly fishing backpack? Looking for something to do some walk-in fishing and perhaps even spend the night afield.

What have you see out there or what do you use?

Look at REI or Orvis.

I used to backpack alot. Do yourself a favor and buy a backpacking pack and just use it for storage. The newer packs arent too bad, but having a backpack that fits correctly is very important for fatigue and comfort. You old Jansport backpack from highschool wont work. I prefer Marmot or Big Agnes. If you can hit a good outdoors store, the staff should be able to help you get one to fit.
    Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

If you are hiking any distance, get a backpacking pack and not a fishing pack.

My son and I have hiked into Rocky Mountain Nat Park several times to fish. We use Camelbaks with the water bladder in them. We carry 7 piece rods, reel, flies, hemostats, nippers, extra tippet, leaders and very little else in the way of fishing stuff. Just the absolute necessities. The rest we carry is hiking stuff. Clothes (not much, a couple layers & rain coat), water purification stuff, TP, sunscreen, 25 ft of para-cord, food, etc.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Normand Guest

rei

eastern mountain sports

ll bean

sierra trading post

google: type in backpack

Quote Originally Posted by dallee View Post
    Anyone know where to find a decent fly fishing backpack? Looking for something to do some walk-in fishing and perhaps even spend the night afield.

What have you see out there or what do you use?
    I have a Northface, internal frame, medium size (adjustable to fit 5'4" to 5'7" in height) back pack. has a day pack that zips on and off. if you're interested i'll get a photo. I'm sure we can work out a very reasonable price.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Default Thanks

Yhanks everyone for your help. You've given me a lot to go through and take a look at.

I appreciate it.

Wes, what model is it that you have and I will look it up so you don't have to take a pic and send me an email. Don't want to put anyone out especially since everyone on here is so helpful.

Dan

I'm getting here late dallee, but you might take a look at this great item from Bucks Bags...Boise, ID, USA made and lifetime guaranty.

http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_cat.asp?id=18

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

personal i love the mollie ruck or the old army alice xl it worked well for me once set up right

I teach Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics (and yes there are adaptations for fishing) and backpacking. Take a look at GoLite packs. They are frameless and extremely light weight. I carry a Jam, Pinnical, or Gust depending on how many days, distance, and season. I have a small fly fishing pack that stuffs right in. Waders and boots strap on the outside. Lightweight or ultra-lightweight backpacking requires some forethought, especially about equipment.

+ Reply to Thread