+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun ... Opening day

Default Just for fun ... Opening day

Cabin fever is about to hit 104 degrees as we're in one of the last snow storms of the season (I hope).

About this time of year, we start REALLY thinking about that OPENING DAY. You know the feeling, you don't sleep for a week before, too excited, ... Your spouse is ACTUALLY looking forward to it too so you will stop complaining ... Everything is clean, polished, leaders and tippets are ready, .. 10 fly boxes are full of early season prospects (even if you only really use 2 different flies).

That said, ... where will it be?? Favourite hole, Best hole, do you simply follow the fisheries stocking truck ...

Mine will be the 'ol 49 same as usual on the Ste-Marg.
    [url=http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1853&sort=1&cat=500&page=2:000 03]http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1853&sort=1&cat=500&page=2[/url:00003]

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:00003]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:00003]
    Christopher Chin

I don't know if I can make it out on opening day (April 1st here)...Friday is my worst day of classes. If I do get out, it will be on a Cayuga Lake Tributary most likely.

I hope to fish before opening day though, on spring break (the week after March 18th). There are a couple of places back home that I would like to fish such as the no-kill on the Beaverkill along with the West Branch of the Delaware on the NY/PA border. Both places are open year round to fishing, and I'm hoping that the weather gets a little warmer...I suppose if I do get out over break, it will make up for missing opening day.

------------------
    "If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Opening day will be on my favorite trout stream in N. California on the 30th of April with ~8 of my best friends in the world (including my wife). It's an annual event, besides the great fishing we'll have lots of BBQ'd dead critters (last year featured goose, wild boar sausage, baby back ribs, and country-style pork ribs), plenty of single-malt scotch and port, and enough laughs to make my stomach hurt. Can't wait!!!

opening day (april 30) will be spent hopping from one wild trout stream to the next, teasing up big browns and bows to the surface with tiny dry flies.

ill make the loop: Hot Creek, Upper Owens River, Rush Creek, Lee Vining Creek. should make for a good day on the water...

...a very timely question. The early season opener in this area is this weekend. I'll probably spend most of March wandering the streams of Wisconsin...mid April on the "Holy Waters" of the Ausable and up to
    NE Michigan for the late April opener...not a bad couple of months...what does one do to fill out the rest of the season???...more of the same I suppose...

Good luck to all in the coming season...

Brookid
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

For many the memories of 'Opening Day' are gone with the extended or year-round seasons,
    but it was a glorious time for old friends and old cottages/lodges on a river where everyone compared notes as to their winter events and caught up.

Catching wasn't nearly as important as "being there!"

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

April 1st in NY, and I hope I'll be on the Battenkill, but I have seen early April bring water so high that I couldn't even get close to where the banks are supposed to be. Not fun. 29 days and counting.
    AgMD

Hopefully my opening day will be this weekend! The stocked streams in Maryland open near the end of March but we have a few Catch & Release and Delayed harvest areas that are open year round. We have been blasted with snow the last couple of days here in western Maryland, I hope it lets up by the weekend so I can get out and cure this horrible case of cabin fever that I have contracted.... Midgemadness

Opening day is April 1st in N. Kentucky. Ill be trout fishing for the first time and i cant wait. Any suggestions on flies?

------------------
    The way to a flyfisherman's heart is through his fly

AAAghh!!!2 1/2 months yet,until may favorite local waters open.I've got the fever so bad
    fortunately the local lakes are icing out and starting to fish well.hopefully I'll get to wet a line tomorrow.

------------------
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

+ Reply to Thread