+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Jig Furled leaders

Hybrid View

Default No Jig Furled leaders

Interesting way to make furled leaders using only your hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver, thanks for the link. This is nothing new to me as I've been twisting my leaders this way for the past five years or so and I use nothing else. They work great. The video is a great tutorial for those interested in this type of leader and not getting into the full-blown furling process. I've made and used these leaders for fishing for Silvers in Alaska and Browns on my favorite spring creek. I usually use 2x mono or flouro depending on the application and then attach about a 30-inch 2x tippet to the leader. I am sold on these for how well they work for all the types of my fishing, but more because they are so simple and inexpensive to make. Thanks again for posting this.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Sounds lik something I must try. What would be recommended for the mono test for a typical trout leader that would match
    a 4X tippet setup?

Normand Guest

i twisted (these cant be called furled leaders ) using 6 pound test stren line. i think it might be a bit flimsy so maybe 8 or 10 pound might be better.

Ray, for all of my trout applications I start with 2x mono ( I use Maxima for most applications) or flouro (for nymph leaders I use the flourocarbon material). The end result gives you a single 2x loop to which I add about 30-inches or so of 2x with a loop-to-loop connection. I then add my 4x material to the single 2x strand with a double surgeons. I've experimented with other materials and 'x' sizes and have settled on the 2x material for all of my dry fly and nymph leaders for all of my rods from 3wt to 5wt. For the larger 8wt I start with 0x and make a short (4-foot max) twisted butt to which I will loop a short section of 0x tippet. These are the best leaders I've found and very, very simple to make, and very inexpensive. They turn over very smoothly and you can vary the amount of material you start with to affect your end result leader length. Good luck!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Please explain to me, the difference between this twisted leader and a furled leader. What makes them "better" than a standard tapered leader? Thanks in advance and Best Regards......
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

I'm in the educational phase of this technique but isn't the 2 strand section of the leader merely twisted while the four strand section is the real furled part ? I'm having trouble with the 2 strand section untwisting whenI let go of it.

+ Reply to Thread