I am in the process of planning a trip out to Northern California this summer and am seeking any info on what "not to miss" while we are out there. I'm looking at two weeks in July, starting in San Francisco, working north to Mendocino(maybe a bit father north) then eastward toward Sacramento, Tahoe, Yosemite, then west to Monterey/Carmel before ending back at Oakland to visit family before heading home. I'll be with my 14 year old son, and renting a vehicle. I plan on sending some tackle ahead and need advice on what to bring. I would really like to try some west coast Striper fishing, then do some trout fishing inland. Is there any decent striper fishing that time of year, and would I need a guide to get out in a boat or are there flyfishing opportunities from shore then? I've read a little about flyfishing for rainbows near Mt. Shasta, and even though this isn't strictly a fishing trip, we would like to hit a few choice spots along the way. The long stretch from Yosemite to Monterey screams for a fishing detour...is there anything along Rte 140, 59 or 152? Lastly, how about a shop near Oakland to get licenses, etc as soon as we get in. Thanks for any ideas in fleshing out the itinerary. The Fodor's guide doesn't have much on fishing. Thanks Again, Jim