+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly floatants

Here's DrLogik's quasi-scientific comparison of some 18 different floatants: http://www.drlogik.com/flyfloatants.html

( if the link is taboo, please remove w/o prejudice . . . ! )

smc

Hi, Ray

After reading "Dry Flies That Really Float", by George E. Emanuel, in the Tying Tips section a few years ago, I've been using the 100% silicon product for waterproofing leather, Angelus, that he recommends for treating dry flies at the tying bench with very good results. I tried Thompson's Water Seal once, too. It discolored the flies - it made them all a VERY greasy dark brown. I posted the results here and most of the comments were, "What??? You can't use that stuff on flies!!!"
    As far as on-the-stream floatants, I've tried most of the better known products and some of the homemade ones suggested here with mostly similar, but decent, results. I've just found that when a fly gets drowned or slimed or is in very rough water, it's going to sink no matter what floatant has been applied. The Angelus seems to help them clean up much easier and quicker.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    On CDC flies, after I catch a fish I just put the fly in a small vial of 90% alcohol I carry in my vest & just shake it up too clean it. A few false casts & it's as good as new most of the time. If it still sinks I'll re- alcohol dip it & use some brand of desiccant & then fish it. I've collected those little dessicant packages you get with some purchased items & pulverized the beads, put them in a vial & when I want to dry a fly I put it in the vial & shake it up. As for the alboline I dont thin it. I keep it in a small squeeze bottle & when I want to use it I just squeeze some out on my fingers & rub it into the fly.. I forgot to mention that that $11.00 bottle of Alboline will last you & your friends a few seasons...
    If you don't want to scavenge all those packets up, buy some Fresh Step crystal cat litter. Keep a good size baggie of the extra around. If you dunk your phone, drop it in the baggie. One of the best things to pull the moisture out. I don't know if it would work for a digital camera, but would be worth a try. Not that any of us have dunked our electronics while we were on the water.

+ Reply to Thread