+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly floatants

Question Fly floatants

I am very reluctant to submit this post because I'm afraid the subject will be hijacked by suggesting commercially available materials. I'll have to wait and see.
    My basic question is about anyone's actual experience in using basic water repellants as fly floatants.
    I have tried concentrated Rain-X that is usd to make water bead up on car windshields, WD-40 that is used to help make car wiring water resistant, pure silicone oil or plain wax, as used in preserving fruit preserves, diluted with naptha and even Chapstick lip balm that prevents water from evaporating.
    Has anyone else tried these, or any other, non-standard dry fly treatments? What were your conclusions?

Ray

I have used the Ray Bergman formula...parafin dissolved in naphtha and like it as long as I am using it it warm weather. I have also tried a silicone water repellent spray called Camp Dry with mixed results.

Just mt 2% of a dollar, nothing more

Brad

Have heard of folks using Thompson's water sealer with good effect -- pre-treatment of course, not on stream. Like so many of these DIY solutions, for the amounts I use a year, it has always been better to just use an off-the-shelf solution. Any time fiddling with wax, naptha, and lip balm is time better spent either tying more flies or fishing. I have wanted to try the old Mucilin and lighter fluid solution, but that is more to satisfy my curiousity than trying to build a better mousetrap.

Ray,

It's a question that draws a wide variety of solutions, potions, and other perfectly formulated products and elixirs that folks are passionate supporters of. My limited experience leads me to believe this particular subject is like a discussion amongst fellow alchemist regarding the exact nature and composition of the "philosophers stone". Again, my feeling is there are a lot of good products out there, both home brewed and off-the-self, that work well in most situations and a few that don't seem to work in any.

I'm currently fixated with using Frogs Fannie (or it's base component, fumed silica). I also like GINK at times. I've tried Top Ride, Aquel, watershed, silicone dips, campdry, and a host of others in search of perfection. My conclusion is the absolute perfect floatant, one that works in all cases, on occasion, and under all circumstances is still out there to be found. It's just not yet with in my grasp. Kind of like making the perfect cast, every time, all day long!

I'm sure you'll get a full range of opinions and thoughts on this topic. It generally generates a fair amount of interest and discussion. Lots of folks in a variety of camps on this one. My best advice is experiment and enjoy the ride, along with the rest of us, who are tying to turn lead into gold!
    Last edited by alra195; 03-30-2010 at 12:44 AM.
    Joe Bertolini

I've been using Alboline Makeup remover for a few years & I think it's as good as any commercial fly floatant. Not that it matters but it's about $11.00 in Walgreens, I also use it on my furled leaders & it'll float them all day.

Albolene....don't let the price scare you ...that's a lifetime supply...you can also dissolve it and use it after cleaning a slimed fly.

Three time's a charm: Albolene.

Al Troth used it.
    Al mentioned and even rcommended (in a recently found 3 hour 1991 fly tying seminar) cutting Albolene with lighter fluid, if necessary.
    Al also points out (in his opinion) that's what Gink is: Albolene. No more. No less.

To be fair, in the last few years before his death, George Gehrke (often intemperately) participated in various
    usenet news groups, where he frequently and vehemently denied Gink was Albolene.

Al, in this case, is they guy i have the most faith in.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 03-30-2010 at 01:57 AM.

All around, hydrophobic fumed silica (generic Frog's Fanny) is the best. Gink, Aquel, Albolene, etc cannot be used effectively with CDC or Hare's Foot patterns, as they mat down the fibers and kill the inherent floatation qualities. Look around on the internet, and you'll find Hydrophobic (not hydrophyllic) Fumed Silica is available for about 25 bucks a gallon, which for most of us would be a lifetime supply. Whatever you do, don't use the Naphta/parafin solutions. The oil film it leaves on the water, makes the fly look like a miniature outboard motor with a leaky fuel tank.
    Last edited by Gadams; 03-30-2010 at 03:54 AM.

Ducksterman,
    How do you dissolve the Albolene?

Bill

I use lighter fluid....there are other solvents that I don't recall now....the lighter fluid evaporates after dunking the fly and leaves a thin coating of albolene.

+ Reply to Thread