+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caught a nice brown and me friday

Hybrid View

Default Caught a nice brown and me friday

Friday was a beautiful day here in Northwest Arkansas and I had the day off so I took my new motorized kayak up to the river below Beaver dam to do some fishing. We?ve had a wet winter and spring so I suspected that they would be running all generators to try to lower the lake level a bit, thus I decided on the motorized kayak as opposed to one of my paddle powered ones. I put in at the ramp by Spider creek and ran up river to the ?artificial only? area. It was still early morning when I took off and the river was still blanketed by a thick fog giving the landscape an ethereal air. I found a back eddy and began tossing a wooly bugger. The current was strong so I had some trouble keeping the fly down in the strike zone. I caught a couple of fish but decided that the high water conditions called for a different approach. I switched to my spinning rod, put on a jointed rappalla lure, and headed further upstream to just below the dam. Drift fishing the high water tossing bigger baits produces big fish on occasion. I was hoping this would be one of those days. I had drifted downstream about a mile with my mind drifting perhaps even further, when I hung into a big fish near an undercut by a deep run. He motored around my boat for a while and I didn?t want to try to muscle him in with my 6 lb test line so I took my time. Once I got him to the boat I grabbed the back hook which was embedded in the trout?s lower jaw with my fingers and gave a twist to release the trout (I was pumped as it was about a 5 lb brown). Anyway as I gave the twist the trout gave a big flop and sure enough the hook came right out of his jaw and unfortunately right into my thumb. I sat and starred at my thumb in disbelief at the sight. I had one of the hooks embedded in my thumb way beyond the barb. Holy Moly! Now what? The day was early and I didn?t want to call it quits and I thought to myself well if I go to a doctor he will just probably give me a shot in the finger the deaden the pain and then yank it out. Soooo how much worse could it be to just yank it out myself. If I would have had some booze with me I would have taken a solid swig at this point, but I didn?t so I just pushed the hook back against the shaft to try to minimize the barbs engagement with my flesh and then gave a big yank. Nothing happened. I felt the pressure in the thumb but the hook didn?t budge. I took a deep breath and gave a second stronger pull and a felt some flesh tear but the hook was still not out. Thanks heavens on the third yank the hook gave and I was free. Thank you Jesus! The thumb bled for a couple of minutes but it really didn?t give me much trouble after that. I continued fishing for the rest of the day.

Another reason for barb-less hooks, but I'm sure the pain was worth it!
    John

But the important thing? Did you get any more fish?

OUCH! Reminds me of the time I got one stuck in my left nostril...nuff said.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Yikes! I think I'Dd rather have a hook in my thumb than my nose!

Blog Entries

I think that a hook through the nose is considered to be a more fashion forward statement that one in the thumb. But don't take my word for it as I'm not exactly a fashion guru myself.

+ Reply to Thread