+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FISHING THE CADDIS HATCH - Eye of the Guide - March 29, 2010

Blog Entries

Default FISHING THE CADDIS HATCH - Eye of the Guide - March 29, 2010

FISHING THE CADDIS HATCH

I'm going to pass out some pointers on how to fish a caddis hatch during each stage of the hatch and what pattern types the angler/tier will need.

Stages of Imitation for the Fly Tier

There are three basic stages of the caddis life cycle that the tier must prepare for if he/she is going to have the proper patterns to imitate the caddis life cycle properly. They are: nymphs, pupas, and adults.

Smile

Awsome summary of a complex subject.

very well done! terrific short overview of a subject that some great scholar-anglers have devoted major portions of their lives to understanding and explaining. like i said in my comment on deanna's casting essay today, it is great communication that makes the complex simple.

Really enjoyed this, I fish the Arkansas River, CO., once or twice a year and have caught most of the fish on a caddis fly of one kind or the other, randomly. I also fish Lake Antero when out there, very nice trout. I appreciate the information and hope to see more of your writing. Thanks, Trout 1 (my favorite fish)

Trout1, Tom has been writing for us now for several months - and he has promised a series on how to fish spring creeks too. If you've missed his previous articles, you might want to check them out here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/tags.php?tag=eotg I'm absolutely thrilled to have Tom on FAOL!

Great article. I've found that swinging an Invicta through "the main rise" to be really effective during caddis hatches.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Tom, thanks for the informative article. I can't wait for that big Caddis hatch that's just around the corner on the lower Henry's Fork, what a blast!
    Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread