Hi Neil,

Great job! Very good common sense advise.

So many times I have read about someone wanting to get started tying flies, will ask for basic information on how to get started on a bulletin board, and will receive advise that they should run right out and buy a very high quality (read very expensive) vise.

My advise each time was to buy inexpensive tools, including the vise, with the exception of buying a moderately priced ceramic type of bobbin. For materials, buy the materials \to tie 2 or three types of flies, and these first few flies should be buggers or nymphs. In tying those, if tying is absolutely not for you, you will probably find that out without spending a bunch of money. Some other folks would often give similar advise, but many times those folks were in the minority.

Years ago, I was involved in a survey of fly tying instructors on a bulletin board, as to how many of their students were still tying after a year. The answer among these teachers was less than 20%, and it may have been less than 10% continued tying after one year. It has been enough years that I don't remember the exact details, but do remember clearly that it was a small percent, and clearly less than 20%. A beginning tier can easily start with a beginner vise, and if he finds that tying is for him, he can buy a better vise later.

That was what happened in my case. I bought beginners tools from Hook and Hackle, (I don't mind using the name since they are still a sponser and do a still do a good job). Bob gave me very good advise, and I spent a minimal sum to begin with, and rapidly found out that tying was for me. I now tie on a $20 Thompson A from Ebay that is quite old, and it does just fine. It is the fly tier that ties the flies, not the vise.

I think a person who wants to become a fly fisherman or tier would do well to read the article and take it to heart.

Again, very good advise.

Regards,

Gandolf