+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NOW ABOUT YOUR CASTING - Ladyfisher - March 29, 2010

Besides practicing the different types of casts to maintain muscle memory, practicing for accurate casts is also hellpful. Try putting some paper plates out at 15,20,25,30,35 and 40 feet, staggered from side to side, then drop your fly on the plate. Take it from those who have been destroyed by Denny's accuracy contest at the Idaho Fish-In, it's harder than you think. Once you can hit the plates, try tea cops.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

In the last forty years the one thing that advances a students understanding quicker than any thing is ability to relate to common sense language and approach. Everyone you teach has natural ability and brings most of what they need to know to the lesson. If your not making the effort to draw on their personal knowledge your just trying to teach them what you think, instead of how to use much of what they already know.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Cool Retake

Good write up and discussion on casting -Since Dees article and after all these years I can finally cast beyond my toes..
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 06-14-2023 at 05:52 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Cool

Oh come on somebody must be interested in improving their fly-casting we can?t all be experts Be safe and have fun with it all..---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->I guess some are just spending to much time on things equally as unimportant, -- but not nearly as much fun.
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 08-19-2023 at 11:56 PM.

Oh come on somebody must be interested in improving their fly-casting we can?t all be experts Be safe and have fun with it all..---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->I guess some are just spending to much time on things equally as unimportant, -- but not nearly as much fun.

Steve, I'm far from and "expert" but... I was able to go out today and present the fly to the fish to the point that they took it! That's' all that matters.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Steve, I'm far from and "expert" but... I was able to go out today and present the fly to the fish to the point that they took it! That's' all that matters.
    Ok good for you ... Fun!----For me a good cast may not net a fish on an outing , but dose give me total relaxation and a feeling of satisfaction that to me is all that matters the catch is secondary. -- I have never left the stream disapointed. Expert what is that ?---Cheers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post
    Practice is a must and I agree it need not be very long.Yesterday we were out in the park knocking dandelion blooms off from ten. twenty and then thirty five feetwith a yarn topped tippet..There were some kids smoking and teasing us until they figured out just what we we doing and thenthey all showed an interest...Casting practice is very cool and relaxing..My 2cents..Good article Dee, Thanks!Be safeSteve
    From Ladyfishers write up -- > "If your casting is not what you would like it to be, now is the time. This is the time, the year to get it done."Yep !Be safe

+ Reply to Thread