+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Action preference changing

Default Rod Action preference changing

Have any of you begun fly fishing liking a different type of rod action better than your current favorite?

For example, when I started fly fishing I began with a St. Croix Premier 5wt with a moderate fast action. At the time, I liked it, but thought I would have liked it a little bit slower.

Last year I bought a Legend Ultra 5wt because I liked the look and could afford it. I didn't cast it before I bought it. Well, needless to say it was MUCH faster than I liked. However, I told myself "I was stupid enough to not try it before buying it, so I'll MAKE myself use it and maybe I'll change my opinion."

At first that didn't go so well. I had problems learning new timing because of the rod speed. However, I slowly adjusted and now I actually PREFER the faster action over the moderate-fast action of my Premier. I can now also appreciate the difference in power between the two rods where I wasn't able to as little as three months ago.

So, anybody else have an experience like this?

When I'm not near the one I love, I love the one I'm near. So said someone.

All I got to say is different tools for different trades. In the winter I fish rvers a lot and I like the full flex light rods. Then spring and summer comes and I switch to stillwater and heavier gear plus med/fast to fast. It takes a little while to get use to it, but worth it. I like that love the one your with.

Bill,
    Wasn't that Stills, Nash & Young?

I have Legend Ultras, Sage VT2, Scott SAS, Orvis TLS (9.5 tip flex), & a vintage bamboo, so a number of different actions....I love 'em ALL! Part of my fun is changing (same day) from action to action & STILL gettin' a line out. Believe me, I am NO expert caster, just a guy havin' fun! I love the variety, & each action brings a new adventure.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I noticed from your username "ou", but you live in Austin, are you a transplanted Sooner fan living in the evil empire? Sorry to steal your thread, but go Sooners!
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Only one problem ohiotuber. You go from the full flex to a tip flex and wait a little in the cast (a little back slapping) till you remember to move a little quicker. At least I have.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

FG,
    You are right...It is NOT an immediately smooth transition, but it's STILL fun!
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I have gone the other way. I now appreciate the slower rod. As for the name, is it the Van Halen reference?

zimrx,

No, actually I thought it would be just a humorous screen name - ou812, oh you ate one too. Get it?

I am currently a student and employee of UT Austin, so no, I am not a sooner, but several of my coworkers are. I am a Texas transplant from Idaho, so I have no dog in the Longhorn v Sooner fight.

I am pretty excited about the Vandals hiring Dennis Erickson though!

i'm a big fan of medium to slow action rod. i think that slowing down your cast will do nothing but help it. i notice that a lot of rod companies push fast action rods for beginners, and i think initially it makes you cast a bit better a bit faster--kind of like shaped skis. but i also notice that i'm able to go from a slow rod to a medium or fast rod, but those who fish fast rods exclusively seem to have a lot of trouble if they need to use a slower rod...

+ Reply to Thread