+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marina del Mar report

Martin,

I would go to Lee Baermann's site www.flyfishthesurf.com and check out the fly's there. Also on fishingnetwork.net there is a guy by the name of Wingnut on that site that has caught Halibut on the fly. There is a thread on there last year that has a picture of some the flies he was using. Can't remember which thread it was, but it was the end of the year when he posted it. I know clousers should work and Eric's tackle shop in Ventura has some flies also. Good luck.

Beaver

I haven't checked today....but for quite awhile now Albrignt has had their Spey rods discounted very deep. They are listed as $370 MSRP. I do not know it that is their normal price or not. But they have three different spey rods marked down to $79 each. You cannot buy decent components hardly and build a single had rod for that. These are complete and come in a very nice tube.

They have a 13'.....8/9 wt
    14'....9/10 wt
    15'...10/11wt

I don't think you will ever find a better time....or even better deal on a spey rod.

Jim

Sorry, I reaalize I posted this info earlier. However cannot delete it as another post just came in on the thread. So I will just leave the post as is.....

Checked today, still on sale, no longer shows the tube with the 15' one....not sure what that means....but still a steal. The link:
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/closeouts
    It starts out showing waders...but just scroll down till you see a small post on spey rods, listing the three....and click on one of your choosing
    I have the 8/9 now and the 10/11. I got to cast the 10/11 one time with a friend and loved it. Just him showing me on a pond. Did not fish or hook into anything. But I really like that 15' one. Probably oversized for surf or PNW fishing. But I really liked it, and it's length.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 03-31-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Martin, excellent report. I keep repeating to myself ... "...someday, salt; someday, salt..."

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thanks Beaver, I'll check that website. Jim, I'm sure you'll be able to catch fish with anything longer than 9', you'll get more distance and I hope you can try it out here one of these days. Thanks Kglissmeyer, if you have the chance go ahead, it is worth it.
    I believe I can fly fish

Great report and pics Martin. One of these days I'll get over to Socal and try that. It looks like a blast.

It's great Brandon, glad to hear from you.
    I believe I can fly fish

I am always here, just usually quiet.

I know Marina del Rey, is that the area you fished? I am a Socal native but AZ is nice.

Boy am I slow!!!! That's what I meant to say Marina del Rey. It was really slow around the jettie so I just walked to the beach and boom, a couple of perch, that was good enough for me thou.
    Arizona is nice, I just live happier near the beach is all.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread