+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paying it forward

Default Paying it forward

I recently had a friend tell me he wanted to learn to fly fish and I offered to tie hime some flies to get started. I have never tied for anyone except myself and must say I was flattered. They are a gift but are these patterns sufficient enough or am I missing the boat on anything special. I have tied three of each of these:

Elk hair caddis
    Griffiths Gnat
    Pheasant Tail
    Adams
    Beadhead flashback nymph
    Hares Ear

I could probably tie a bunch of wooly buggers in different colors

Anything else come to mind?
    Steve

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Steve,

Your post doesn't mention which species of fish you are going after with your friend but I assume that trout will be the main attraction. Your selection sounds excellent and three of each pattern is certainly generous. I would suggest two things. One suggestion concerns size. Be sure to include a couple of smaller #18-#20 nymphs in your assortment. Suggestion two you have already covered--- you can't go wrong with a few mini-buggers in black, brown and olive. Also, I see that your location is Maryland. I know that Maryland has some fine farm ponds and small, warm-water lakes. I use to fish Urieville on the Eastern Shore all the time. You couldn't give your friend a better introduction to fly fishing than a spring afternoon spent chasing some nice farm pond brim and bass. In case you decide to do that, throw in a couple of Gurgle Pops too. Good luck with your friend. Hope this helps. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 03-29-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks 8T. I did forget to mention species but you got it---Trout. I think you are right about the ponds. I didn't even give that a thought. Gurgle Pops to the vise. A yes, it certainly did help, Thanks.
    Steve

Well, since they are a gift, I believe that they are GREAT! AND, if he catches fish with them, it is even better!! I am not very picky as you can tell, I have caught trout on many types of flies so when some say this is for this type of fish and this one is for this other type, I start to question it. I have caught most all types if trout here with a mosquito pattern which some people tell me the trout don't eat. ?????? Oh, and as for size, I can't SEE smaller than an 18 or 20, let alone get the leader thru that ittybitty HOLE!! I envy those that can get those big fish to net with those SMALL flies. I hope your friend truely learns to enjoy this great sport, and even maybe join this sight.

PS got any more?? Oh, I really shouldn't ask, I tie. I should also add, I use the elk hare, the adams, and the hare's ear a bit myself though not smaller than a 16!
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 03-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Steve, you might want to make some light cahills in size 14-18. The smaller sizes could be used to imitate Sulphurs in a pinch. Will this person be fishing around our area?

Rodney

Yes Rodney.

He is a local gentleman from close to the Grantsville area. The light cahills are a great additive to the pot. Thanks for helping me out on this one.
    Steve

One thing to consider is his newness. I think that it is easier to catch fish with a streamer than a nymph or dry fly because dry flies you need to have no action attached to it and nymphs you often need to have a dead drift or cast with weight. Streamers you can chuck in and fish on the swing or just "pull" it in. Streamers (buggers etc) are less technical to fish because there is less matching of the hatch or matching the nymph.

jed

Steve,

How about a couple Baillie's Spiders. Easy to tie and easy to fish.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Jed, thanks for responding and you make an excellent point. This gives me a reason to return to the vise.

Ron,

Good idea. I will turn out a few for him. Hopefully, I can help in a small way, to make his first fly fishing trip a memorable one and hopefully get him hooked.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread