Just a little rant here.
Anyone who's read my articles knows I'm no purist but...

Last time I brought this topic up (in another Forum) you would have thought I stole someone's horse, shot their dog and assaulted their sister (or is it the other way around). Anyway, I recently received a mag that praised the French team's new approach to Czech nymphing -- using a twisted mono strike indicator of sorts. It brought back a pet peeve of mine dealing with the whole subject of Czech nymphing and such.
Is it really fly fishing?
I don't think so.
What differentiates fly fishing from other forms of fishing is that the weight is in the line and the lure is very light. Consequently, to fly fish there really must be a casting aspect.
If you can perform the same task as well, or maybe better, with a 12 foot jigging pole...well, that technique just shouldn't be allowed in a fly fishing contest.

Now please understand. If you want to Czech nymph and outfish everyone else on the water -- because you probably will -- be my guest. Just don't tell me you are fly fishing.

Suppose I went to a "Fly Fishing Only" water and brought that jigging pole. I'm standing across the stream from someone who is Czech nymphing. Why is he allowed to stay and I have to leave? Because he had fly line he never uses?

Whataya think?