+ Reply to Thread

Thread: making more stuff

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default making more stuff

make your own fly reel

http://eclecticangler.com/?p=55

My fishing partner made one with the help of an advance copy of manuscript
    He said it was pretty straight forward with the only tricky part being the length of the spindle

dick's reel 2.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Hey folks, I'm the guy that wrote the book The Reelsmith's Primer that just came out last week. My mission is to show anglers that it is possible to build functional and attractive fly reels without needing a machine shop full of equipment! In fact, my book only requires an electric drill and a few hand tools. The photo that dudley posted of his buddy's reel appears in my book - the builder was one of my early reelsmiths. I've created a presentation that shows the entire process start to finish, a complete tool list, and a complete materials list. A skilled craftsman can build this reel using this information and locally (or mail ordered) materials. We've also created The Reelsmithing Forum where there are lots of reelsmiths sharing information, designs and other stuff. Check it out! Building your own reel is very possible.

cheers,
    Michael aka EclecticGuy

BTW folks...Michael has built a furling motor for someone that is to kill for.

ducksterman, "shhhhhh!" making furling engines (which I love to do) keeps me from working on my reels! There are only so many hours in a day and after my job, wife and kids take up the first 30, that does not leave much for me!

You can check out the furler on my blog: http://www.eclecticguy.com/2010/02/0...uction-furler/ I also make reproduction Walton's Engines (look around on the blog, you'll find them).

cheers,
    Michael

Norman, thanks for posting.

Looks like a real cool read and perhaps a project in the offing!

I've got the book and the materials from Michael and I must say that both are tops. The book holds your hand through all the processes required which is very necessary for me, not having any machining experience at all (The extensive instructions for using a punch would bore a second-day Junior High student in Shop class but were perfect for me.). The book lies flat with its spiral binding (a nice touch, Michael...all instruction manuals should do likewise) and has numerous photos along with templates for all necessary parts. I am excited to gather all the requisite tooling to get started. thanks again Michael.
    mcsteff
    p.s. Normand, do you ever sleep?

+ Reply to Thread