I just received my 2010 Fishing catalog from Cabela's. I used to like looking at the Cabela's catalogs and perusing all the fishing gear. However, this issue seems to be exclusively geared toward the Professional Spiny Ray Tournament Fisherman. The had spinning reels starting at $700 and working their way down to the "Average Joe" (pun intended). They had bait casting reels, spinning reels, and even mooching reels. They had tons of rods. Spinning, Casting, Trolling, Boat and even Crappie Poles. They had so many different lines available, that it would take a panel of pro's to decide what line you needed depending on application, weather, structure, water clarity and what kind of platform you're fishing from. Hooks covered the full gambit of design including circle hooks to treble. Lures were never ending and started with soft plastic, semi soft plastic, hard baits, lipped baits, lipless baits, articulated baits and baits that should not be called baits. Downriggers, GPS included in you new Sonar unit, anchors that don't need hands to operate, and boats. Ya, even boats offered for cheap monthly payments. You're probably asking by now, "what's your point Joe." Here it is.
Not one single mention of fly fishing. It's as if fly fishing doesn't even exist in their marketing strategy. If they have 100,000 square feet of shop available, not even 1 square foot was dedicated to fly fishing.
I don't know if I'll even give another thought to buying from Cabela's and they are just 5 miles from my door.
Should we BELLY-ACHE? SHOULD WE BOYCOTT?
Belly Ache; YES. Boycott; NO.
Just Saying