+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt Lick Creek Report

Default Salt Lick Creek Report

This past Saturday, I managed to get off work at noon and took my 5 year old son, AJ, fishing. My wife, Dana was sick and couldn't get out, but she packed us a few drinks and we got out of the house, and out of her hair for the evening. I had tied a few flies for AJ and put a float on his spinning rod so he could cast his fly. He had his own little fly box full of flies that "we" had tied. Meaning he picked out the colors and made a few wraps with the thread. We got to the creek and went to fishing. He would cast upstream and watch his float, float down the stream. Occassionally giving me a yell to "look at that cast, Daddy!" when he had made a really good cast.

I tried out my new 3 wt from Albright that I got for Christmas. It was the first time I had it on the water, and I love it.

We wandered up and down a big gravel bar, fishing. At the lower end of the gravel bar, there is a few big boulders that sort of make a small shelter or cave of sorts. The water fills these holes up and makes for a really "fishy" looking place. As we walked up to the spot I showed it to AJ and explained to him how fish like to have shelter and that this would make a really good spot to catch fish. The gravel bar was very small in front of it though and I let him walk down to the end and fish the spot by himself, since we both couldn't stand there without getting in each other's way or getting our feet wet. I went a short distance up stream and fished some ripples. I looked around and watched him make a really good cast into the spot. A few minutes later he was standing with his back to his float and kicking at the rocks. I just smiled to myself and let him play.

As the day went on, we drew in the mud with a stick and climbed big banks of rocks when we could much more easily walk around. And of course we got hungNtree. He's a real chip off the old block. He even found me a piece of "indian money" and gave me. (Indian Money: I think it is a piece of plant fossil that looks like a stack of pennies or coins. I'm not sure if it is plant in origin or not, but I'm fairly certain the indians never used it for money ) Anyway, I think I'll carry that piece of "indian money" in my vest for years to come.

When we packed up to leave he was drinking a kool-aid drink Dana had packed for him and he told me, "Daddy, I love fishing with you."

We didn't catch a single fish. We didn't even have a bite. But that was the best single fishing trip I have ever been on. I can't wait until we get to do it again.

hNt

PS I'm sorry I got no pics. The digital camera my Mama gave me got wet on the last trip. I'm saving for a water proof one.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Now that fish report is PRICELESS. Worth more than any amount of money (even Indian). Thank you for sharing with us and bringing back some great memories too.

Very well done DAD !!!

+ Reply to Thread