Stupid groundhog! Eight inches of gooey wet snow on the first day of Spring, but I decided I was going out anyway. I'd been catching a few bluegills and crappies along the way in the local ponds since the ice went away and hoped the drop in water temp wouldn't shut them off, so out the door I go yesterday. After busting through a thigh-high snowdrift to get to the water, I strung my four weight and looked for a likely spot.

The wind was blowing up a bit (about 15mph between the gusts), but I was there and wasn't going back without trying. I put on a weighted soft hackle and let the wind drift it across a little point that dropped off into deeper water. Between the wind and the gloves I was wearing, I figured strike detection would be difficult and it was, but after a few casts I saw the tell-tale twitch in the line and I was into a fish. Not a particularly big 'gill it turned out, but good enough.

I managed to get into about ten of the little guys before the wind and the wind chill finally got to me. Today the sun is out, the snow is rapidly retreating, and it looks like Spring might really be here. Of course I'm heading back to work in a few minutes.. From here on out though, there should be plenty of opportunities.