I had both my boys fishing at about 3 1/2. They had the 'snoopy rod' with a casting bubble and a foam spider. Boy the giggles as they would reel in the bluegill. That's the ticket - bluegill and kids.

Both boys are grown now (one graduates college in 2 weeks, other still in college).

We went fishing together on Good Friday. Son #2 drove. We talked, giggled, swapped fish stories and talked about the summer float we're planning. It doesn't matter how old they are, when we're together fishing, it's just "wonderful time'.

This past weekend I was cleaning out my fly closet when I found the little 4 foot rod I built for #2 when he was 5 years old. I made it from an UL spin rod I bought at WalMart for $10 and stripped it of it's spin components. I matched it with a very light graphite reel and it wasn't too big or too heavy for him to cast. He figured it out pretty quickly and could roll cast to the 'gill with ease.

You're making memories for both you and your son, I know mine are very precious. Now I wait patiently for two DIL who will fish and then for grandkids to teach.