+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switch Rod Guide Wrap Colors?

Default Switch Rod Guide Wrap Colors?

I've been following yonk's link about building a switch rod. His tutorial is as good as it gets. I have a question about guide wrap colors and I don't want to pirate his thread. I'm getting the same colored blank from Batson (Matte Grey) and I'm having some troubles deciding what colors to use. I'm leaning toward Black wraps with Silver tipping. But, I would like to know your thoughts. My highschool colors were Crimson and Silver but I'm having trouble visualizing what it would look like. Any artistic guidance out there? My switch is supposed to be 10' 8", 4 piece. I'm really anxious to get started, but I have to wait to make the right decisions.
    Thanks Y'all,
    I trust your judgment,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

About anything looks good on that blank, but Garnet is one of my favorites for that one.

Steve

Hi Joe!

I'd go to my local box or sewing store and buy cheap thread, and roll the combinations onto a blank to see how they look prior to purchasing silk.

And Steve, your web site is nicely done.

Blog Entries

There is a really easy way to do the same kind of wraps that Yonks did. He did it the hard way.

If you look at the last rod I posted http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...d&daysprune=60 that is what I did. You can adjust the width of the trim bands as desired.

I was thinking of a wrap like that with silver, crimson, silver, black, silver. Use CP so the underlying threads don't show through. The link is a tutorial on how to do those wraps.

http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com/...20Tutorial.pdf

If you are using single foot guides, a symmetrical wrap would look really good. Silver, crimson, Silver, Black, Silver, Crimson, Silver with the guide foot being centered in the wrap, not where it bends up, but the foot itself being centered.

If you are using snakes, the first pattern I mentioned is what I would use. Follow the tutorial, but when you get a few turns of the black on, then trim the two threads you will not be using on the other end of the wrap, then finish off the black.

When using this method, you either need to use NCP thread or CP. If you do not, I guarantee the lighter trim threads will show through like a neon sign in a dark bar. I prefer the CP on nylon thread. I just like the look better than NCP.

I am using a very similar wrap pattern on a spinning rod I am putting together for a young lady here in Denver. Hot Pink blank from Mudhole, Metallic Dusty Rose, Maroon, Metallic Dusty Rose, Rose, Metallic Dusty Rose. The Rose is a softer pink than the blank and the combination is really cool. CP over the works to keep the metallic from showing through.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Custom Fly Rods View Post
    About anything looks good on that blank, but Garnet is one of my favorites for that one.

Steve
    So Steve?
    Maybe Garnet and Silver?
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

burgundy or grape purple and silver?
    I'm wrapping a red and gold and looks great...on a black blank.

sometimes I use a piece of a broken shiny black arrow to look at instead of mounting up the blank
    or on matte black I use scrap pieces of arrows from the archery shop they graciously gave to me, which are plain matte black in color

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    So Steve?
    Maybe Garnet and Silver?
    That's one of my fav combos myself, it looks custom yet very classy as well. Here's one I just did a couple weeks ago with that same color combo on the same switch blank so you can see how it looks. This is without CP....

Blog Entries

I have a rx8+ with garnet with 3 turns silver and color preserver. My favorite. It is a matte black painted blank, too.
    Greg

Joe,

Dont be afraid to try practice with all sorts of color combos. I'm building another switch rod right now using metallic ice blue, light blue nylon and black nylon in the same scheme as on my step by step build. Sounds like something crazy, but to my surprise it actually looks pretty darn cool. Try a whole pile of color combos and decide what you like the best. The nice thing about that blank being a matte grey is that almost anything will go along with it, just depends on your style.

Good luck!

Yonks

+ Reply to Thread