+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lines for Bass

SA GPX, overlined. I have an 9 on an 8 weight line, which is my Alaskan special for bead fishing. I am using it for bass, and have an Orvis braided sinking extension, if getting down there becomes necessary. There are just so many spools and flylines that I can keep.

I would recommend the GPX if i hadn't just found one that suits me better for bass fishing. The SA Mastery Nymph taper is also designed to turn over a lot of weight, but has a total head length of 65 feet! What this boils down to is being able to roll cast much farther than you would be able to with the short headed bass bug line. So, if you generally are on the bank and often roll casting, the Nymph taper might be better. If on a boat and needing to make quick shots, the Bass Bug line might be better.

Here's a secret though, the SA Mastery Headstart line is almost identical to the Bass Bug line, and about $25 cheaper! they also make that one at least down to 4wt.

Scientific Anglers makes a Mastery Series Bass Bug line.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thanks all for the replies. I probably wont be doing too much roll casting the river that I fish is very gracious for space. For the most part I am wading and maybe casting out of a canoe or kayak. I think that I may look at the SA GPX in a 6wt WF Im not throwing anything bigger than a #4 Streamer weighted usually. I think I also like the idea of an all purpose line instead of a specific species type line. Anyways thanks for the help its always appreciated "This board Rocks"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seege

[This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited 07 February 2005).]

Fireman,
    Good choice. Here's another vote for SA GPX, the best all around line for what you want it for.

+ Reply to Thread