Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with Fly Fishing Forums lately?

Default What's up with Fly Fishing Forums lately?

I've been on here browsing and think the site is okay but prefer the best site Drake forum. Why are so many forums going belly up and what makes a forum so good?

Tightlines

So you became a member so you could what? Let us know that this site isn't as good? Promote the other site? I guess I feel that this is a strange post, but to answer your question, it's the people that make a forum so good!
    Get Em!

Default Greetings, RFA ...

... and welcome from Western Montana.

Can't answer your question since this is the only Fly Fishing Forum I participate in. The FAOl site is very solid, so if you stick around you won't have to worry about it going belly up. Like Mike said, its the people who make a forum what it is, for better or worse.

"Best" is a subjective and relative term - so maybe for one's preferences, another forum is best and for others this Bulletin Board is best. Doesn't really mean much, if you enjoy your time here and participate in a positive way, does it ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

I've seen that site....once. Lots of rude and inappropriate stuff(at least IMO). That's why I like it here. It is civil, and I don't have to worry if the wife or kids happen to look over my shoulder while I'm on. To each his own, though.
    But stick around and hang out. This is a great community of people from a wide set of backgrounds. Lots to learn here. And that is what keeps a site going. There is something for just about anyone with an interest in fly fishing. And a generous, knowledgable and (mostly ) polite group of folks who can express their opinions civilly. I don't think anyone should be afraid of asking a question and trying to improve thier fishing skills on this site.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 03-18-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I agree with Mike; it's the people who participate, including those who manage the day-to-day operations that many don't see. The forum that Fly Fisherman runs http://forums.flyfisherman.com/ was a very active place until they changed format last year; now it's a shell of it's former self. There were a few glitches here at FAOL when they changed things around a few months ago, but nothing serious and participation seems to be as active as ever.
    There are some very talented folks over on the Drake, and some good information is shared but the rules of engagement are a lot different than this site (anyone who cares to join in the fray there should do a search on "Noob rules" before making their first post; trust me). Those who enjoy the verbal sparring there may find FAOL a bit laid back and those who enjoy FAOL may find the Drake to be a bit much; it's a matter of perception. I spend the majority of my time here, but I certainly use the Drake as a resource.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-18-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Ditto to what ol' Blue said. Only thing I would add is that this also makes FAOL safe for use during my lunch breaks at work etc. Some of the others, not so much. Don't have experience with Drake.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tlerm View Post
    Ditto to what ol' Blue said. Only thing I would add is that this also makes FAOL safe for use during my lunch breaks at work etc. Some of the others, not so much. Don't have experience with Drake.
    Probably don't want to go there at work.

Regards,
    Scott

Just went there. Ain't goin' back. 'nuff said.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

This is the only website I visit. (ooops I goofed. I have taken to visiting azflyandtie lately because it is mostly about AZ fishing) IMHO it "IS" the people, members, that make it such a wonderful website to spend time on. I still do not like the changes or colors. Harsh on my eyes. But "I" appreciate this site because of the people on it. They are very civil, forgiving, intelligent, and knowledgeable. They are allowing me to make my mistakes as I grow up. I've been pretty rude at times. But it was true whatever I stated. It was indeed my opinion when I stated it. As in any large group there are those who will never post anything negative, to keep up their image. I say what I think, even if it is wrong. Truth is in the perception. When I am wrong the site tends to correct me. But when I am right, it should be good information for others. This is a wonderful site. I have been on other sites, but have never returned to them. This place is family. In fact, the only family I have. Enough about me though.

My thougts are that what makes a good site is the people and the management. The management of this site has made it the wonderful civil site that it is. With almost unlimited information. Different strokes for different folks. This is the type of website I enjoy spending time on. I check in every day.

Jim
    Last edited by Gemrod; 03-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.

It is indeed the people and all they provide but what Jim said should also be emphasized..."almost unlimited information"...stored on the site...

Closed Thread