Closed Thread

Thread: What's up with Fly Fishing Forums lately?

Hybrid View

I to regularly go to the Drake Forum, and agree wholeheartedly with joe cool. I'd say that the age group there is a lot closer to mine than here on FAOL. Does that mean I'm going to abandon this site for that one? No, they both have much to offer. Lots of junk going on over on the Drake, but this site can get testy on occasion, we just choose not to drop the f-bomb here on FAOL.

As far as respect goes, the previous post would fit in nicely on the Drake if you spiced it up a bit with a few choice words.

Kevin

Tell me what web sites you frequent and I'll tell you who you are. Just sayin.............

Mark

I think I have visited the drake. Can't remember for sure. Sounds like the biker bar of fly fishing sites. I used to visit biker bars back when I rode. I haven't been in one for quite some time. Giving up drinking might have something to do with that also. The internet has got something for everyone. All you have to do is look. It probably needs a biker bar style web site on fly fishing. I can talk rough but choose not to for the most part. I do participate in a web site that is more open than here and I have even thrown out my share of off color language there. But, that site welcomes new comers. It doesn't "haze" them. No initiations to become a member like a biker club. To each there own. We all seem to have a need to belong someplace. If the drake fills that need for you, go for it.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

As adults, parents, and grandparents, one of our primary jobs is to set an example and teach the generations coming behind us, to pass our knowledge on as it was passed to us. Does the Drake exemplify the example you want to be to your kids? I know, it was stated to keep the wife and kids out of there, but doesn't that translate to "Do as I say, not as I do!" ? How well did that work for your parents if you heard that phrase like I did growing up?

I can not justify participation in a site like the Drake considering my role as an example and mentor to my kids and grandkids, not to mention the Scouts I deal with daily.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I really preferred don't ask don't tell, but since all theses Drakers/potential Drakers are coming out of the closet, guess I'll have to make a list.

As always you're being to diplomatic Marco.
    It takes a special breed, like the Drakers, for a moderator from another forum to post "I've been on here browsing and think the site is okay but prefer the best site Drake forum".
    nam

Blog Entries

Thumbs down enough said

no thanks
    not a family friendly site

Default Apparently my ( parenthetical ) tongue in cheek comment ....

..... about FAOL rejects, wasn't taken as tongue in cheek by everyone. Thanks for pointing that out, joe cool.

To anyone who was offended by that comment, I do apologize.

Also, joe did an excellent job of giving a different perspective on The Drake, both the website and the magazine. I have heard some very good things about the magazine, but haven't picked it up just because I'm not much of a magazine person. I wouldn't not read it because of impressions about the website - each should stand on their own, to my way of thinking.

As to the website, I'm still not inclined to visit it because of how it is characterized not by persons visiting it briefly and casually, but by the way it is characterized by the moderators. Age may well be a factor, in my case at least, and I have no problem admitting that or seeing that as a factor for a lot of people. My 29 year professional career involved a very competitive, adversarial, combatative element on a continuing basis. "Not nice" was the norm. Had enough of it. Perhaps at an earlier time in my life I would have been a Drake advocate answering a thread posted on that site about why someone liked FAOL better. Something about all you old fogies ..... ( tongue in cheek, of course ).

John
    The fish are always right.

Closed Thread